Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
In other words, is there a cheaper pencil that magnetically connects and charges and links like the Apple pencil?

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
Thanks. I just went ahead and ordered the Apple Pencil for my wife’s Air 4. She never wanted one until she saw me marking up photographs. Then she tried it with mine and wanted one. It’s expensive, but it works easily.
I am in the same situation, my girlfriend has been eyeing up this pencil so it looks like we need to order another.

• Haha
Reactions: Kyle76

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Reactions: LibbyLA

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I don’t think you’ll regret getting the Apple pencil.

I have gen 1 pencil (used on iPP 9.7, iPP 10.5, and currently on Mini 5), gen 2 pencil (used on iPP 11 2018 and iPP 11 2021), and Logitech Crayon. I use the Crayon when I’m grading papers and need to write on both the iPP 11 2021 and the Mini 5. Before I got the Crayon, I always seemed to have the wrong pencil in hand as I moved between two iPads. With the Crayon, writing on both iPads is seamless. That is a very specialized use case, though.

I dabble in Procreate and mark up photos and screen shots. For those tasks, I use the Apple Pencil.

Reactions: sorgo †

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009

This seems to be the best but there's an issue -
It does not support the older 2015 1st gen & 2017 2nd gen iPad Pros.

Are there any alternatives that work with those? Unable to find a Pencil 1 alternative.

K5c6YCP.png

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I tried Apple Pencil 2 a couple of times, but because I'm a very casual Procreate and Pixelmator user, I couldn't justify the cost. I looked in detail at the Logitech crayon and the Zagg stylus too (including that NYT review, being a fan of Wirecutter), but just got a JamJake stylus pen for $25 on Amazon, and am very pleased with it. It has palm rejection, but not pressure sensitivity, which is not important for my usage. It turns on my tapping one end, and doesn't need to be paired. It came with a usb-c charging cable, 2 replacement tips, and a tip cover. Now I can have fun drawing when I feel like and not feel guilty about not using it for a week ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.