Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inuragon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2023
Should be getting a small e-drum set next week and was thinking of connecting it to my iPad mini with usb but the lack of headphone out is a big issue so was wondering if there exists a small dongle that would work.
It would either need to have:
2 USB connectors where one supports usb devices and the other audio dongle. (Charging ability would be nice too but not necessary)
1 USB-C that supports devices and 3.5mm jack for audio.
I have seen plenty of adapters with 3.5mm and usb-c for charging but none mention the usb-c working for devices also, just charging.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Should be getting a small e-drum set next week and was thinking of connecting it to my iPad mini with usb but the lack of headphone out is a big issue so was wondering if there exists a small dongle that would work.
It would either need to have:
2 USB connectors where one supports usb devices and the other audio dongle. (Charging ability would be nice too but not necessary)
1 USB-C that supports devices and 3.5mm jack for audio.
I have seen plenty of adapters with 3.5mm and usb-c for charging but none mention the usb-c working for devices also, just charging.
This Anker hub has a 3.5mm headphone jack and a USB-C port that can either provide charging or 5Gbps USB data: https://www.anker.com/products/a8363?variant=41783874453654

inuragon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2023
This Anker hub has a 3.5mm headphone jack and a USB-C port that can either provide charging or 5Gbps USB data: https://www.anker.com/products/a8363?variant=41783874453654
That looks nice, but i would prefer something smaller
Also having the dongle directly attached seems bit sketch, not sure i like the idea of applying so much stress to the only connector on the ipad. (i assume if the usb-c breaks it's gonna be expensive to fix)

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
That looks nice, but i would prefer something smaller
Also having the dongle directly attached seems bit sketch, not sure i like the idea of applying so much stress to the only connector on the ipad. (i assume if the usb-c breaks it's gonna be expensive to fix)
It fits right up against the body of the iPad and has a plastic insert that should help to retain it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.