Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I read somewhere you can't install it on Sierra, and to get it to run on Sierra you need to have installed it previously and then upgrade to Sierra.

I don't know how this would work with dosdude1's patcher.

Reactions: toke lahti

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
I read somewhere you can't install it on Sierra, and to get it to run on Sierra you need to have installed it previously and then upgrade to Sierra.
I am not sure, as the email sent to users before the High Sierra was launched reads as follows:

Apple said:
Dear Wojtek:

Our records show that you may be using applications included in Final Cut Studio. We wanted to share some important compatibility information about these applications and macOS High Sierra, which will be available this fall.

Older versions of Apple pro video applications — including applications in Final Cut Studio — will not launch on a computer running macOS High Sierra.

New versions of Apple pro video applications — including Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, and Compressor 4 — are compatible with macOS High Sierra. You can purchase these applications on the Mac App Store.

You can learn about the transitioning from older versions of Final Cut Pro to Final Cut Pro X here.
For more information about compatibility of Apple pro applications on macOS High Sierra, please view this support article.

Sincerely,

Apple

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I am not sure, as the email sent to users before the High Sierra was launched reads as follows:
I was looking around it seems you CAN install FC7 on 10.12 Sierra, but YMMV. Lots of reported issues.

Apparently the last supported version of OS X was 10.6.8 but it worked fine up to and including 10.8.x. At 10.9 and later, people started having problems, but it was bad for some people with 10.12. And then 10.13 killed it completely.

toke lahti, why specifically 10.12? If your goal is to run FC7, why don't you stick with 10.11 or earlier?

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
I was looking around it seems you CAN install FC7 on 10.12 Sierra, but YMMV. Lots of reported issues.

Apparently the last supported version of OS X was 10.6.8 but it worked fine up to and including 10.8.x. At 10.9 and later, people started having problems, but it was bad for some people with 10.12. And then 10.13 killed it completely.

toke lahti, why specifically 10.12? If your goal is to run FC7, why don't you stick with 10.11 or earlier?
I'd need to run oneDrive for efficiently use µ$'s office.
Alternative to upgrading to 10.12. is to find out how to run oneDrive in 10.11.
Btw, fcp7 has been working with my 10.11. just fine. Maybe it's because of old hardware (mbp2009 & mm2012).

So, there's lots of instructions how to run "too new" os with old hardware, but there's little of interest on how to run old os with newer macs...

Last edited:

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I'd need to run oneDrive for efficiently use µ$'s office.
Alternative to upgrading to 10.12. is to find out how to run oneDrive in 10.11.
Btw, fcp7 has been working with my 10.11. just fine. Maybe it's because of old hardware (mbp2009 & mm2012).

So, there's lots of instructions how to run "too new" os with old hardware, but there's little of interest on how to run old os with newer macs...
Your 2009 MBP is identical to the officially supported Late 2009 MacBook. LegacyUSBInjector by parrotgeek should be the only thing that you really need to run Sierra on your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.