Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
If not, why? This idiot I’m friends with does not seem to grasp that I hate talking on the phone, and when I don’t answer he always leaves a voicemail. I have asked him repeatedly not to leave voicemails, and told him I hate talking on the phone. He doesn’t listen. Time to take matters into my own hands, but based on Apple’s ****** design team I am guessing there’s no way to do this on the leading smartphone in 2020.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
If not, why? This idiot I’m friends with does not seem to grasp that I hate talking on the phone, and when I don’t answer he always leaves a voicemail. I have asked him repeatedly not to leave voicemails, and told him I hate talking on the phone. He doesn’t listen. Time to take matters into my own hands, but based on Apple’s ****** design team I am guessing there’s no way to do this on the leading smartphone in 2020.

Not sure this is even an Apple problem. Calls are ultimately managed by your provider, including voice mail handling.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
In apples mind, contacts are either able to call you and send text message, or able to do none. I’d say this is very Apple-like: always go all in and fully commit, leaving absolutely no wiggle room in between.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not sure this is even an Apple problem. Calls are ultimately managed by your provider, including voice mail handling.
Bingo. Seems like managing it from carrier side of things would be the better and more appropriate way to go.

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I was gonna suggest just getting rid of the voicemail myself, but your way works as well :cool:
I don’t know if there’s a way to get rid of voicemail but you can always call the carrier and ask. At one point I was getting so many spam calls I recorded the “this line has been disconnected” message as my voicemail. That helped a lot because they all put down the number was disconnected and didn’t call back ?

I feel this guy’s pain because I have friends that when I text them they will immediately call. I can text when I’m sitting on the toilet but I’m not going to talk on the phone. Also there’s just times I don’t feel like talking but would rather just text.

Something I didn’t think of but you could put your phone on do not disturb for all calls. I think that sends them straight to voicemail but someone correct me if that’s wrong. You can still text but still your friends probably going to wonder why you didn’t answer or ignored their call.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I don’t know if there’s a way to get rid of voicemail but you can always call the carrier and ask.

You totally can. Voice mail is simply where unanswered calls go to. Each carrier supports redirecting to other services, such as Google Voice or other similar services. Or, no service.

Reactions: russell_314
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.