Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DustyShaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
I want to change the default save location, which is iCloud, to my desktop.

Every time I save a TE doc I have to change the location in the dropdown, so that's one tiny task I'd like to do away with.

The other, more serious thing is when I forget to change the location to my desktop, the doc goes to iCloud and I never see it again because I don't look on iCloud for my files. I don't save my files to iCloud, I only use it for syncing Photos with my iPhone.

I looked in the Settings for TE but I didn't see any option to change the save location. Is there another way?

Ventura 13.4.1
TextEdit Version 1.18 (394)

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
It should remember the last location. It's saved in the preference file as NSNavLastRootDirectory.
To set it from Terminal
Code:
defaults write  com.apple.TextEdit NSNavLastRootDirectory "~/Desktop"

Reactions: DustyShaw

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
I want to change the default save location, which is iCloud, to my desktop.

Every time I save a TE doc I have to change the location in the dropdown, so that's one tiny task I'd like to do away with.

The other, more serious thing is when I forget to change the location to my desktop, the doc goes to iCloud and I never see it again because I don't look on iCloud for my files. I don't save my files to iCloud, I only use it for syncing Photos with my iPhone.

I looked in the Settings for TE but I didn't see any option to change the save location. Is there another way?

Ventura 13.4.1
TextEdit Version 1.18 (394)
Try this, Go to System Settings - Apple ID - iCloud ( this is where a lot mess up, don't click on Show All) click on iCloud Drive - Then Apps syncing to iCloud Drive and uncheck TextEdit.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I have similar question. In different application I have a default folder for open/save file. How can I change this?

mine always goes to Download.
Screen Shot 2023-10-09 at 5.44.42 AM.jpg

maxglitz

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2017
I know this is an older post, but others will find it like I did. It still applies to SONOMA now too. Pomeroy's answer is dead-on right. My TextEdit was ALWAYS saving to iCloud with a new document, regardless of the last folder saved to. I changed the System Settings as Pomeroy described and for safety quit TextEdit and re-opened it. I created a new trial document and the only reason it wanted to save it to iCloud was because that's the last place it was saved. So I chose a new folder on my Mac and saved it there. Now it acts as it used to before Apple threw us a curve about saving from an app we were expecting to act as always according to OUR choices. We need warnings about such things so we aren't in forums all day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.