Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stephenll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2016
I have a website that changes its URL after you enter the original URL. It is tied to a session ID that changes each time and also time outs eventually. I'd like to create a web app with the original URL but when I create the web app it pulls the latest URL in Safari.

Is there a way to change the URL of a web app once created in Sonoma?

I tried opening the package and changing the URL in the plist file but that results in an error.

Thanks

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I don't have Sonoma at the moment to test, but if the package includes a _CodeSignature folder, you should probably remove it after modifying the plist.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
If I'm reading this right, you're logging in, redirected to a different URL, and then creating the web app (which uses that new URL)...and now want to change the web app's URL back to the original one?

Are you able to create the web app on the original URL/login page, and then log in using the web app?

Can't speak for Sonoma, but this is how I've always done it in iOS/iPadOS. For example, I'd create the web app when on outlook.com, then open the web app and log in (which redirects to a different URL). It also remembers my log in session so I don't have to log in every time.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Doesn't appear so. You can only change the app title and icon.

Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 12.31.30 PM.png

Reactions: gank41

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
There isn't a log in. Here is the actual address I'm trying to switch to:

https://wsr.pearsonvue.com/testtake...eriesCode=Spreadsheet_SAMPLE&languageCode=ENU

After entering that into Safari, the webpage/url changes to something like this:

Which doesn't work if I try to open the web app later in the day after creating it.

With sites like that (which require a login before accessing certain content), it's hard to create a web app to go direct to the content without having a persistent login for the site as a whole. Since Pearson does not use persistent logins, your best option would be to create the web app for the login page rather than the test page.

Reactions: R3k

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Has anyone made a web app out of gmail? Do notifications work? (I’m not running any betas).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.