Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
I'm not finding much about this and wanted to see if anyone here know:

I have a copy of Mac OS X 10.6 Server with a serial number. The Xserve that it was installed on originally is wiped and long done (it was sold with a standard/client version of a later OS X 10.13 on it). Someone wants to buy the disc + SN from me, but only if I can confirm the SN will work. I didn't think this would be an issue, since Apple has pretty much abandon 10.6, and there's a lot of SN floating out there. I'm not even sure if it'll even really check in with Apple at this point, it I think it would only was to verify it was a valid string. I don't have any Macs that I could install this on right, and now that my main Macs are on Apple Silicon, I can't even do a VM.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I will preface by saying that I have only dealt with Tiger Server, but I can guess with strong confidence that this will be the same for Snow Leopard. If someone who has used SL Server could chime in as well, that would be great.

These old Apple products never phoned home with the serial. You didn't need to be connected to the internet for any form of activation, it was a local product key. It's not like Windows XP activation, which did require at least the telephone to activate.

Apple always used to function on the honor system when it came to these things, they sold the retail version of Snow Leopard in a 'Family Pack' that said it was valid for up to five computers, which was bogus. It'll work as many times as you like. Same with any old iWork or iLife, the limits are theoretical. Technically it is illegal to do this as it's a violation of the terms of service, but illegal to whom after fourteen years?

You could try phoning Apple, but they haven't sold either edition of Snow Leopard in many years, the Server one has been discontinued for at least 10 years. Since it is so far into obsolescence, I suspect that they would be unable to relieve the license from your Xserve even if it was necessary, though I don't believe it would be.

Again, I speak with relative certainty and would appreciate if someone who has used or has access to SL Server could confirm this. I don't imagine you'll have any problems though.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
I will preface by saying that I have only dealt with Tiger Server, but I can guess with strong confidence that this will be the same for Snow Leopard. If someone who has used SL Server could chime in as well, that would be great.

These old Apple products never phoned home with the serial. You didn't need to be connected to the internet for any form of activation, it was a local product key. It's not like Windows XP activation, which did require at least the telephone to activate.

Apple always used to function on the honor system when it came to these things, they sold the retail version of Snow Leopard in a 'Family Pack' that said it was valid for up to five computers, which was bogus. It'll work as many times as you like. Same with any old iWork or iLife, the limits are theoretical. Technically it is illegal to do this as it's a violation of the terms of service, but illegal to whom after fourteen years?

You could try phoning Apple, but they haven't sold either edition of Snow Leopard in many years, the Server one has been discontinued for at least 10 years. Since it is so far into obsolescence, I suspect that they would be unable to relieve the license from your Xserve even if it was necessary, though I don't believe it would be.

Again, I speak with relative certainty and would appreciate if someone who has used or has access to SL Server could confirm this. I don't imagine you'll have any problems though.
Thank you. That is exactly how I remember things working. The buy said it does phone home for him, but I didn't believe this is a case. I did try to reach out to Apple, they thought I was asking about an iPhone. after I told them it wasn't a Mac SN lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: retta283

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Thank you. That is exactly how I remember things working. The buy said it does phone home, but I din't believe this is a case. I did try to reach out to Apple, they thought I was asking about an iPhone. after I told them it wasn't a Mac SN lol.
I assume that at this point anyone working for Apple support doesn't even know what Snow Leopard is, at best they maybe remember it as being the version they used as a teenager on their MacBook. It's incredible just how long it has been, it seems more recent than 14 years ago when SL came out.

For a while Apple was great when it came to phoning them about support for somewhat outdated products, I used to be able to get older OS X versions from them, but in the last 5 years or so they've axed all of that. Not too surprising, they likely only get a few calls a year about these things.

Reactions: Slix

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
It does not phone home. You can set up Snow Leopard Server without an active internet connection at all. It asks for the serial before connecting to the internet I'm pretty sure. I have reused serials from my dad's old copies of Server, and it has worked multiple times across various computers as well. Either way, at this point, it's super old and Apple doesn't support it anymore so asking them wouldn't probably yield any answers anyway.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Here's what the guy sent me when trying to use the server key. It only happens when he's online. It takes the key when he's offline. I think he's implying that he gets a notice once he's online, it doesn't matter if he had already registered.
IMG_5641.jpeg

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Here's what the guy sent me when trying to use the server key. It only happens when he's online. It takes the key when he's offline. I think he's implying that he gets a notice once he's online, it doesn't matter if he had already registered. View attachment 2210195
Tell him to complete setup offline and send picture of the error it gives then. That is bizarre.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Google has become so useless for searches, even their verbatim search function is nonfunctional anymore. No results yielded from that message. Yahoo found it immediately, I never would've expected that. Anyway, small rant aside, here's something I found in terms of ways to get around this:

1) If you have access to a newer installer DVD (10.6.2) you will not experience the problem
2) You can disconnect one of the network interfaces during the initial setup
3) You can boot the server into target disk mode and install the 10.6.2 combo update before setting it up

Apparently this was only an issue with the very first batch of Server discs, not the later ones.

Reactions: Edgecrusherr

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
So I think we narrowed it down to a bug that would pop up sometimes with dual Ethernet systems. I was able to install it just fine in a VM and on a white MacBook. So I sent him some links, and he bought the discs and SN from me. I haven't heard anything back from him since he got the discs, so I assume he got it working. I'll update if I hear anything from him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.