Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
The whole logic board is replaced by Apple, it gets a new serial number after that in the about mac dialog box.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
The whole logic board is replaced by Apple, it gets a new serial number after that in the about mac dialog box.

I can't speak to whether this is common or not, but mine did not have a SN change when I had the replacement performed. Mine was sent into Apple via their mail-in service.

mbosse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Vienna, Austria
I can't speak to whether this is common or not, but mine did not have a SN change when I had the replacement performed. Mine was sent into Apple via their mail-in service.
I seem to remember that you can identify it somehow under the 'About my Mac' -> System Report tab.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
It doesn't really matter whether it's been "replaced" or not -- because the new ones are "the same as the old ones".

That is to say, a replacement will be "as prone to failing again" as was the original...

Reactions: hotmetal and wlossw

mbosse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Vienna, Austria
It doesn't really matter whether it's been "replaced" or not -- because the new ones are "the same as the old ones".

That is to say, a replacement will be "as prone to failing again" as was the original...
Ok, but I seem to have heard that there was a second series with less 'dubious' graphics chips of the same type, and I wonder whether these made their way into the replacement programme. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.