Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I am finding that as I move the mouse pointer around a website, sometimes there is a mouseover popup that appears. A perfect example is my username at the top of each MR forums page. I noticed that a placing the mouse pointer over that link while I was typing this post, the popup became visible and stayed visible. This results in blocking some of the page even when I moved the mouse pointer away from the link - I had to click a blank area of the page to get the popup to disappear.

Steps tp reproduce (I'll use MR forums as the example but this happens in many websites):
1. Go to the main MR forums page
2. Notice the Support link - which is a menu, indicated by the down facing arrow
3. Now, place your mouse pointer on the link for your username
4. Notice the mouseover popup for your profile
5. Now notice that the popup is blocking the Support menu link along with the Spy link and part of the History link
6. Now move the mouse pointer away from your username link and notice that the popup is still blocking those other links

Is there a way to disable mouseover popups in all websites on desktop Safari? Mouseover popups are usually links and, if I wanted to see the link I would click on it. I wouldn't mind if all mouseover popups disappeared when moving the pointer away from the mouseover link, but that isn't what happens.

My system:
Mac mini (Late 2014) running macOS Mojave (version 10.14.1)
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Magic Keyboard

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Is there a way to disable mouseover popups in all websites on desktop Safari? Mouseover popups are usually links and, if I wanted to see the link I would click on it.
Usually, but not always. I'm seeing more and more things that are hidden until discovered by the cursor.

Reactions: revmacian

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
That is programming within the website not a browser setting. The only way to block it that I'm aware of is using a script blocker. A script blocker will block all scripts on websites. Which also makes many websites unusable. Then you have to go through the tedious routine of enabling scripts individually until you can just get the website working. If those mouseovers are necessary for the links or dropdowns to work. Then you will have to accept them.

None of it will be clear cut. Sometimes you can look at the source of each script to figure out the website scripts. Sometimes the scripts are through another provider name. Firefox and Chrome have script blockers (NoScript and uMatrix). Not sure about Safari. NoScript hasn't been the same since the Firefox Quantum update. Which ruined a lot of add-ons.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
That is programming within the website not a browser setting. The only way to block it that I'm aware of is using a script blocker. A script blocker will block all scripts on websites. Which also makes many websites unusable. Then you have to go through the tedious routine of enabling scripts individually until you can just get the website working. If those mouseovers are necessary for the links or dropdowns to work. Then you will have to accept them.

None of it will be clear cut. Sometimes you can look at the source of each script to figure out the website scripts. Sometimes the scripts are through another provider name. Firefox and Chrome have script blockers (NoScript and uMatrix). Not sure about Safari. NoScript hasn't been the same since the Firefox Quantum update. Which ruined a lot of add-ons.
Well, I didn't realize this was due to scripts. I think I'd be better served just getting used to it. Thank you for the information.

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
I hate the mouseover popups as well. On forums, I just find a place on the page where the mouse cannot land on anything that will produce a popup. On MR, that means I keep my cursor in the white space at the left edge of the page and scroll with the cursor there, until I find something I want to look at. That eliminates any popups while scrolling.

Reactions: revmacian

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I hate the mouseover popups as well. On forums, I just find a place on the page where the mouse cannot land on anything that will produce a popup. On MR, that means I keep my cursor in the white space at the left edge of the page and scroll with the cursor there, until I find something I want to look at. That eliminates any popups while scrolling.
Yeah, I've been trying to get into that habit lately but it will take some time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.