Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
Not looking for debate about whether iOS 11 is great or not. I would just like to revert to iOS 10, if possible. Is there a way to downgrade to iOS 10 from the official iOS 11 release? If so, how can it be done?

Patrick G

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Last night, I did a backup of my phone via iTunes on PC. I then immediately disconnected and upgraded the phone from 10.3.3 to 11.0 over-the-air. If I restore the phone from that backup I made last night, will it replace iOS 11 with iOS 10.3.3? Or, is there a separate "downgrade" process I must use in order to revert back to 10.3.3?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Last night, I did a backup of my phone via iTunes on PC. I then immediately disconnected and upgraded the phone from 10.3.3 to 11.0 over-the-air. If I restore the phone from that backup I made last night, will it replace iOS 11 with iOS 10.3.3? Or, is there a separate "downgrade" process I must use in order to revert back to 10.3.3?
The backup is just data, not iOS itself. You'd need to actually install the version of iOS that you want (that Apple is still signing) and then restore from your backup (if it's compatible).

Patrick G

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
The backup is just data, not iOS itself. You'd need to actually install the version of iOS that you want (that Apple is still signing) and then restore from your backup (if it's compatible).
Okay, thanks. Do you have a link to that process?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
But better hurry as it is almost 1 week and Apple can sign off iOS 10 anytime by now
It's just been 2 days. And while Apple can certainly stop signing iOS 10 at any moment, it seems like based on past experience it's usually a longer period of time when it comes to initial x.0 releases for a new version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.