Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aquasky

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Hi

We've rebranded our business and want to inform our contacts of the new brand. Is there a way (an App?) that can extract email addresses (1,000s) from my Gmail account and put them into an Excel or some other software which I can use to send out the information mailout? Can someone recommend a decent mass mailing software, please?

Many thanks
Nik

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Gmail keeps contact in ... Google Contacts! Go to https:://contacts.google.com, log in, and export from there.
I'm pretty sure Google Contacts will only include contacts you've explicitly added to it. I don't think it's going to just pick up every single contact from one's Gmail archive, which seems to be what the OP is after here.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
What are you using as your mail client? Apple Mail? gmail in Safari? Or something else?

My experience with Apple Mail and HoudahSpot.

HoudahSpot can search messages in Apple Mail. Searching for "author Email Address contains @" gets everything. Choose the columns you want. The results can be saved with "Copy as Tab Delimited" and pasted into Excel.

Only you can decide if the learning curve with HS is worth it.

aquasky

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Thanks guys!
I use Apple Mail, but happy to use any other workable software/App.
Regards
Nik

aquasky

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
I basically need to extract email addresses from ALL people I ever sent emails TO or ever got emails FROM (so not necessarily those that are registered as my "Google contacts", and "export' these email addresses to an Excel sheet to e able to later import them into a mass-mailer software/app. That's the idea anyway...

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I basically need to extract email addresses from ALL people I ever sent emails TO or ever got emails FROM (so not necessarily those that are registered as my "Google contacts", and "export' these email addresses to an Excel sheet to e able to later import them into a mass-mailer software/app. That's the idea anyway...
That is exactly what you can do with HoudahSpot. It is a plugin for Apple Mail and so can use the same index as that used for searches in Apple Mail. The difference is that it displays results as a table which can be exported.

Alternatively, you can write some AppleScript to go through all the messages in your Mail folders and extract the info you want.

aquasky

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
That is exactly what you can do with HoudahSpot. It is a plugin for Apple Mail and so can use the same index as that used for searches in Apple Mail. The difference is that it displays results as a table which can be exported.

Alternatively, you can write some AppleScript to go through all the messages in your Mail folders and extract the info you want.
The issue is that there are 15,000 emails dating back over 8 years, and Mail will mostly likely not download them all - or will it? I have IMAP connection with Google via Apple Mail, but I'm not sure if my Mail folder will be an exact carbon copy of the my Gmail. What do you think? If not, I was wondering if I can get these email addresses straight out of Gmail somehow... just thinking aloud.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I have IMAP connection with Google via Apple Mail, but I'm not sure if my Mail folder will be an exact carbon copy of the my Gmail.
With IMAP, your Apple Mail by default has the same emails as on the gmail server. The exceptions would be if, in the gmail web page, you have disabled IMAP for some folders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.