Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solinari6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
Every morning when I come to my Mac, I have to close out a bunch of these messages. It's super annoying. It's complaining about my external hard drive, this one:

It's a 1TD SSD that is partitioned into 2 drives, a Time Machine drive, and a regular hard drive.

My Mac is a bit old, it's a 13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports MacBook Pro. I had hoped that upgrading to the latest OSX would solve the problem, but it has not. I've tried plugging the drive in to different thunderbolt ports, but they all do the same thing.

Is it just a problem with the drive itself? Or is osX just being screwy? It's weird, some days it is just a few of these, other days it's a TON.
Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 5.28.11 AM.png

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Is there a way to get rid of these errors? (Disk not ejected properly)"

Eject the disk(s) properly before putting the Mac to sleep for the night.

Really...
That's "the answer".

solinari6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
"Is there a way to get rid of these errors? (Disk not ejected properly)"

Eject the disk(s) properly before putting the Mac to sleep for the night.

Really...
That's "the answer".
Dang, is that really what Apple expects people to do? Eject all their disks before the computer sleeps? LOL

Maybe I could try just preventing my mac from ever sleeping, see if that does the trick?

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
While that could be caused by the Mac entering sleep, the fact there are possibly a number of identical errors suggests not - unless entering sleep generates the error which then wakes the system, which then returns (eventually) to sleep... and round and round. It could be that the SSD is dropping into its own sleep mode.

What I would try is to set the Mac to NOT sleep, but the screen to switch off, and leave it that way for a few days. If the errors continue, it's likely the SSD (possibly a cable problem, but if you don't see this error while the system is in active use, likely not). If the errors stop, then it is likely the Mac's sleep that is the root cause of this.

I didn't experience these errors with my iMac and external drives when that was left to drop into sleep each night.

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Dang, is that really what Apple expects people to do? Eject all their disks before the computer sleeps? LOL

No of course not. Normally, you shouldn't do anything out of ordinary. You can keep your disks connected at all times regardless of what your machine is doing.

I remember that this problem was common on one of the macOS versions years ago. I experienced this as well as many other users. But this, once again, was fixed long time ago.

Frankly, I don't know why you're having this issue. One thing for sure is that it's abnormal and something doesn't function properly on either software or/and hardware side.

solinari6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
Have you tried a different cable? You didn't mention the cable at all in your post.
I actually DID put a different cable on it yesterday, and when I woke up this morning, there's no errors! (yet)!

Crossing my fingers that was the issue! LOL
Thanks!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.