Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EchoSierra

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Boston, MA
I'm running 10.11.6 on a 2012 MBP. Is there any way to get updated fonts and/or emojis that are found in a more recent OS? (like Catalina)?

mywebsite

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2020
This is so chock full of useful information I can't wait to dig deep and start utilizing the resources you have given me. I recently joined a web design company and i work there as a content writer. As always, thank you for your wisdom and great guidance. You're the best!” I love reading your contents and the clarity with which you think.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
The Emoji are installed in the following file:
/System/Library/Fonts/Apple Color Emoji.ttf

The rest of the system fonts are also in the same folder. I haven't tried replacing it with one from a newer version of macOS, but it would be interesting to try.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I'm running 10.11.6 on a 2012 MBP. Is there any way to get updated fonts and/or emojis that are found in a more recent OS? (like Catalina)?
Why not upgrade to an OS that's still supported and more secure?

EchoSierra

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Boston, MA
Because this is a 2012 machine, which is not supported, and unless I run Catalina on it, it probably will not be supported. I have some old software that I continue to use on this machine that will most likely will not work with Sierra or newer. This is not my only Mac, but rather a secondary machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.