Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyphe416

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2022
It seems like my car stops being able to send text messages as soon as my phone locks. My android used to have a feature that kept the phone unlocked when connected to the car's bluetooth. Is there something like this for the iPhone?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Settings>Display & Brightness>Auto Lock>Never

2022-05-18 10.23.25.png

lyphe416

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2022
Text messages and driving. That’s worse than drunk driving.
Welcome to 2022 where AMAZING advances in texting have taken place. There is now this thing called 'voice' in cars that allows you to send and receive texts by voice without taking your eyes off the road.

Good job on the unnecessary and irrelevant comment though.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you and I've definitely seen the manual option to turn it off. I was hoping there was a setting for it to disable automatically when the phone is connected to the car's bluetooth.
You'd need to jailbreak for that in order to work around the stock option. That said, the phone is locked when the screen is off, so the screen's going to need to be on either way.

Reactions: max2

lyphe416

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2022
You'd need to jailbreak for that in order to work around the stock option. That said, the phone is locked when the screen is off, so the screen's going to need to be on either way.
Ok ty.

Sounds like I basically just want to run it with CarPlay.
Appreciate the help. Cheers!

Reactions: max2 and eyoungren

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Welcome to 2022 where AMAZING advances in texting have taken place. There is now this thing called 'voice' in cars that allows you to send and receive texts by voice without taking your eyes off the road.

That still means a distracted driver. Even having a conversation over the phone is considered a distraction and can be used a guilt determiner in collision cases.

Not trying to be negative on this, but my opinion on the matter is don't text (even if using speech) and drive.

That said, as per having the phone never lock, go to the Auto Lock setting and set it to Never. Also, why not use the car's system?

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020

If you get into accident and you were texting (even with voice dictation), you might be charged for careless driving. At least in my knowledge, this is criminal offence in Canada.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
Yes. Even talking with someone else and you have accident, if you are at fault, you might be charged for careless driving.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
If you get into accident and you were texting (even with voice dictation), you might be charged for careless driving. At least in my knowledge, this is criminal offence in Canada.
Where in Canada is using handsfree a violation? From my research it's not an offence only if actually physically interacting with the phone is it an offence.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
Where in Canada is using handsfree a violation? From my research it's not an offence only if actually physically interacting with the phone is it an offence.
in the UK even using hands free etc, there’s an offence of driving without due care and attention.

It doesn’t matter if what you’re distracted by is a hands free phone call

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
I'm well aware of that offence but that doesn't specifically cover handsfree calls. Handsfree is allowed and is not illegal.
Driving without due care and attention is what it says. It doesn’t matter if something you’re doing is “legal”.

It will obviously vary by country. But with the UK at least, you can be guilty of driving without due care and attention for excessive speed while not speeeing.

You can be guilty of it when distracted by a hands free call.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Driving without due care and attention is what it says. It doesn’t matter if something you’re doing is “legal”.

It will obviously vary by country. But with the UK at least, you can be guilty of driving without due care and attention for excessive speed while not speeeing.

You can be guilty of it when distracted by a hands free call.

I know that but I was responding to the statement hands free is illegal or not, whether it attributes to undue care and attention is another conversation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.