Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I would say ... no
Once enabled, it's permanent on that account.
Although, you should be able to make a new AppleID account, remove those devices from the 2FA account, then add to your new non-2FA account. Seems like a bit of bother, but that should work. And you would have to re-purchase anything that you have already purchased on the old account. That might be more trouble than it is worth, in the end. Don't let Apple talk you into 2FA for the new account, if you don't care for that security level. I continue to choose no on 2FA, as well.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I would say ... no
Once enabled, it's permanent on that account.
Although, you should be able to make a new AppleID account, remove those devices from the 2FA account, then add to your new non-2FA account. Seems like a bit of bother, but that should work. And you would have to re-purchase anything that you have already purchased on the old account. That might be more trouble than it is worth, in the end. Don't let Apple talk you into 2FA for the new account, if you don't care for that security level. I continue to choose no on 2FA, as well.
"No" is also my assumption at this point, but I'm also looking for creative workarounds. Thx for the response and info.

I'm not arguing or nitpicking with my next comments. I'm only adding additional information to what you stated. Depending on how they are created, currently some new Apple IDs will have 2FA already enabled. On an account without 2FA, if it's enabled by mistake or change our minds it can be turned off up to two weeks from being enabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.