Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2015
Hey all,

So I got an Android phone for work, but it's a 5-year-old model that was already a budget phone when it was released – using it is a total PITA so the less I can use it the better.

I was wondering if there is a way to set up my Android phone so that I can just leave it plugged in on WiFi and "relay" calls and text messages to my personal iPhone. Call forwarding is not a good solution because, ideally, I'd also like to be able to make calls from my iPhone using my work Android's phone number. Google Voice

Similar situation with texting - I've found a partial solution by installing Google Messages on my work Android and bookmarking the Google Messages website on my iPhone, so I can text from my iPhone, although I can't get notifications. If anyone knows of a solution that would give me notifications, please let me know!

EDIT: I was able to set up Google Voice, but I don't think it's quite what I'm looking for – as far as I can tell, I can only make calls from my Google Voice number on iOS, and not from one of the linked numbers (i.e., my Android work number).

Last edited:

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Not sure what kind of phone you have but it would be much easier if your personal line was esim and the Android phone was psim cause you could have both lines on your iPhone and get text/calls from both.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2015
Not sure what kind of phone you have but it would be much easier if your personal line was esim and the Android phone was psim cause you could have both lines on your iPhone and get text/calls from both.
I'm on an iPhone 14 so no physical SIM. I'm not opposed to just popping the SIM off my work Android and into an iPhone SE I have in a drawer, but my assumption is that my work's IT would be notified that the IMEI/device has changed, and I don't want to get in trouble with IT – maybe someone with more IT/device management experience could tell me if that would indeed be the case.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2015
I popped the SIM into my iPhone and I think my work’s mobile carrier account had each SIM attached to an IMEI, because I got an error message when trying to place a call on the iPhone. I popped the SIM back onto my work Android phone and I’m still getting an error, so I’ll have to deal with the carrier (don’t know if they’ll be able to help since it’s a work account) or my work’s IT department.

:^)

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2015
Looks like my iPhone's IMEI was blacklisted – I'm not sure if that was as a result of putting my work SIM in it, but I've got a whole other can of worms to deal with now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.