Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

testato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2023
I am struggling with the same issue reporte on this thread , none on Apple support seams able to catch the point, they are still suggest the same useless procedure (leave beta program from website). But the point is that the developer role is stiked to the apple-id

Any idea ?

is the role of Developer editable in some way ? , maybe in some plist locally ?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Betas are now available to anyone, doesn’t matter what Apple ID you use. So seeing that toggle is completely normal.

If you want it gone anyway, the profiles @bogdanw mentioned might do it.

testato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2023
Thank you both for your kind response. But I'm almost sure I'm in the developers program because if I create another administrative user on the same machine the toogle beta isn't shown until I log in with my apple id, plus I receive the beta in the cycle dedicated to developers ( a week before the public one), in addition my spotlight searches for documents for developers (it is one of the options that are shown in the spotlight settings), if I log out my apple id these options disappear. Apple support suggests deleting my apple id and creating a new one.. not a very smart solution :)

ps: the macs exposed in the applestore do not have the toogle beta, but as suggested it could be due to the configured profile

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Betas are now available to anyone, doesn’t matter what Apple ID you use. So seeing that toggle is completely normal.

If you want it gone anyway, the profiles @bogdanw mentioned might do it.
Betas are available to everyone, but one still needs to enroll their Apple ID in the beta program in order for it to show up on their devices.

I'm away from my Mac right now, but I believe the OP is referring to the equivalent of this screen.
1708371311810.png

For the public betas, one needs to enroll/unenroll from beta.apple.com. Unenrolling here will stop the public betas from showing up as an option in the list.
1708371337615.png

For the developer betas, one needs to enroll or accept the agreement at developer.apple.com. However, there is currently no way to unenroll here. So at this point, there is no way to stop the Developer betas from showing up as an option to choose from.

If the Apple ID isn't enrolled in either program, the "Beta Updates" section shouldn't be showing at all. My parents have never joined either program and this section does not show on their devices. I once did enroll them in the public beta to get a Release Candidate update, but the "Beta Updates" section disappeared again once I unenrolled them.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
For the developer betas, one needs to enroll or accept the agreement at developer.apple.com. However, there is currently no way to unenroll here. So at this point, there is no way to stop the Developer betas from showing up as an option to choose from.
A profile stops all betas, including developer.
Before
Before.jpg

After
After.jpg

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
As expected :), the beta enrollment process is full of bugs.
Same machine as above, after signing out of the Apple ID, rebooting, deleting System Settings files, still shows Beta updates.
Betas.jpg

On my personal account, I accidentally managed to unenroll myself from betas altogether on iOS and macOS.
Probably because I turned on Lockdown Mode on the iPhone or because I don’t sign in through Systems Settings, but from the App Store.

iOS_17.3.1.jpg
About Lockdown Mode https://support.apple.com/105120

testato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2023
Check if you have /Users/Shared/.BetaEnrollmentData.plist & /Users/Shared/.betamigrated and delete them
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cant-unenroll-from-ventura-public-beta.2389922/post-32277641
Found the .betamigrated , delete it , nothing change.

At this point I think I can survive anyway. I understand this is a common problem

To solve the spotlight problem and expose the preference regarding developer sources, simply create a fake Xcode.app under Applications

testato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2023
One last questions , under ~/Library/Preferences some plist have UID strimg added to the name , what is the differences ?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Found the .betamigrated , delete it , nothing change.
What macOS version are using? Can you post a screenshot of Software Update?

My Sonoma 14.3.1 that doesn't show Beta Updates, although I am signed in.
No_Beta_in_Sonoa.14.3.1.jpg

testato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2023
What macOS version are using? Can you post a screenshot of Software Update?

My Sonoma 14.3.1 that doesn't show Beta Updates, although I am signed in.
I am on 13.6.4 , waiting for 14.4 to jump

Screenshot 2024-02-20 alle 10.34.50.png
Screenshot 2024-02-20 alle 10.37.44.png

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Check if you have and delete /Users/Shared/.SeedEnrollment.plist
It’s the old configuration file that might be left over from Monterey or previous macOS versions.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Try this in terminal:

To UN-enroll from public beta program:

sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL

Reactions: testato

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL
That could also be something left behind from Monterey or lower, as Ventura and above stopped using that method.
sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Seeding.framework/Versions/A/Resources/seedutil unenroll
returns in Ventura and Sonoma
“seedutil is no longer supported. Use Software Update to manage beta enrollment.”

testato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2023
I am not at home, tomorrow i will try. I start with monterey on that mac , i never been enrolled (on that mac). I did it on a vm machine using my apple id (just on app store , becouse vm cant sign on apple id due to lack of valid hw uid), i have had to accept developer licence to download xcode cli

testato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2023
Try this in terminal:

To UN-enroll from public beta program:

sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL
It seams i am not enrolled on any program

Could you post the contents of yours

com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>AutomaticCheckEnabled</key>
<true/>
<key>AutomaticDownload</key>
<false/>
<key>AutomaticallyInstallMacOSUpdates</key>
<false/>
<key>ConfigDataInstall</key>
<true/>
<key>CriticalUpdateInstall</key>
<true/>
<key>LastAttemptBuildVersion</key>
<string>13.6.4 (22G513)</string>
<key>LastAttemptSystemVersion</key>
<string>13.6.4 (22G513)</string>
<key>LastBackgroundSuccessfulDate</key>
<date>2024-02-20T05:36:17Z</date>
<key>LastFullSuccessfulDate</key>
<date>2024-02-20T08:02:33Z</date>
<key>LastRecommendedMajorOSBundleIdentifier</key>
<string></string>
<key>LastRecommendedUpdatesAvailable</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>LastResultCode</key>
<integer>2</integer>
<key>LastSessionSuccessful</key>
<true/>
<key>LastSuccessfulDate</key>
<date>2024-02-20T08:02:38Z</date>
<key>LastUpdatesAvailable</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>PrimaryLanguages</key>
<array>
<string>it-IT</string>
<string>it</string>
</array>
<key>RecommendedUpdates</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Display Name</key>
<string>macOS Sonoma 14.3.1</string>
<key>Display Version</key>
<string>14.3.1</string>
<key>Identifier</key>
<string>MSU_UPDATE_23D60_patch_14.3.1_major</string>
<key>MobileSoftwareUpdate</key>
<true/>
<key>Product Key</key>
<string>MSU_UPDATE_23D60_patch_14.3.1_major</string>
</dict>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>

and

com.apple.updatesettings.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>DidFixPublicSharePoints</key>
<true/>
<key>UpdateSettingsRunStamp</key>
<dict>
<key>majorVersion</key>
<integer>13</integer>
<key>minorVersion</key>
<integer>6</integer>
<key>patchVersion</key>
<integer>4</integer>
</dict>
<key>addedRemoteAppleEventsAccess</key>
<true/>
<key>did_disable_ftp</key>
<true/>
<key>systemUpdateDate</key>
<date>2022-10-23T09:15:49Z</date>
</dict>
</plist>

Screenshot 2024-02-21 alle 09.04.52.png

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I was wrong, @Fishrrman was right. Ventura still writes CatalogURL in /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist
Although Apple’s own documentation states
“CatalogURL string Deprecated The URL of the software update catalog. This property is not supported in macOS 11 and later.”

I give up trying to understand this issue, Software Update in Ventura 13.6.4 (22G513) is now showing beta updates with beta updates turned off, without being signed into an Apple ID, on a VMware virtual machine.
beta_error.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: testato
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.