Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

merrygoround

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2019
I stupidly upgraded to iPad ios 15 because I know eventually they will stop signing it and i will get stuck. My ios 14.7 was having a storage glitch that was eating all my space,so I went to 15 to fix it since I really liked it on my phone. Big mistake. There’s these 3 dots in the top middle of the screen that’s on almost every app and when I try to get to my notifications, use the address bar or get to top of a webpage, the split view flies open moving my open windows in the corner of my screen. Is there no way around this? I was hoping there would be some kinda accessibility feature that can cover it or make it unsuable or a way to make a gesture to get my notifications ? Some say the gesture is the far left for notifications ,but if I don’t hit it just right, I still open the split view moving my windows everywhere . I’m really struggling with this.

I don’t use multitasking and never plan to.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
You can pull notifications from anywhere but the far right where control centre is, and as long as you don't do it right on the dots you should be fine. Just pull from the very top. Same with all the other things you mention; Tapping anywhere but right on the dots should work.

Unfortunately I don't believe there's a way to get rid of them as of right now. I could be wrong but if you'd like to see that happen you can tell Apple through their feedback program that you could use that as an accessibility feature

merrygoround

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2019
You can pull notifications from anywhere but the far right where control centre is, and as long as you don't do it right on the dots you should be fine. Just pull from the very top. Same with all the other things you mention; Tapping anywhere but right on the dots should work.

Unfortunately I don't believe there's a way to get rid of them as of right now. I could be wrong but if you'd like to see that happen you can tell Apple through their feedback program that you could use that as an accessibility feature

My fingers keep getting caught, sometimes I’m not even close to the dots and it does it, also happens when I’m typing in address bars, or if I don’t get to a notifcation
They did have the option to turn it off but removed it I think in iOS 15.3-4

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
Don't tap or pull there. I mean, it's such a small target, why insist to tap/pull there when there is more than enough room left and right of it?

merrygoround

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2019
Don't tap or pull there. I mean, it's such a small target, why insist to tap/pull there when there is more than enough room left and right of it?

Cause I’ve been using the same gesture for more than 5 years, and the gesture still exist on my new phone which luckily don’t have those dots, I also need to use the address bar and some full screen apps need to touch near the area or directly where it is located and it doesn’t just activate when you touch the dots,the exact area is not exactly defined, if it did I’d have a guide on exactly what area activates it.

Either way I will never use multi tasking and I can’t believe they removed the option to turn it off mid iOS 15 updates

Reactions: dcmaccam and arw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.