Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
I want to have an automaton to toggle on “listen for Hey Siri” on my phone when it’s connected to CarPlay.
The reason is I don’t like having Hey Siri on in general, but in my car when using CarPlay the button on the steering wheel to activate Siri is really bad—one of those kind of capacitive buttons grouped with other buttons—hard to explain, but it’s not in a convenient spot, it’s hard to find by feel, difficult to press plus you have to long press it, and there is tremendous lag before Siri activates. So I’d like to use Hey Siri in my car.
But I couldn’t find the action to toggle on Hey Siri in the Shortcuts app. Does it not exist? Just wanted to double check.

I don’t have much experience with the Shortcuts app, but it seems to me the available actions for iPhone settings are pretty sparse. Why is that? Are more eventually going to be added? The app has been around for awhile so it seems like Apple just doesn’t think people want to automate iPhone settings. There are other setting automations I’ve wanted to do but couldn’t. It’s frustrating.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
I think that you can’t toggle this directly, but at least you could create an automation where, when your iphone connects to your car, immediately the Siri&Search-Setting is opened. You then have to tap 2times to toggle »Listen for Hey Siri« on though - it’s more like a reminder to switch it manually whenever your phone connects to your car 🤓.
You can use the iOS URL scheme for this:

IMG_3341.jpeg

create a shortcut where you open the URL prefs:root=SIRI. Then create an automation and add it.

Last edited:
Reactions: subjonas

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
I think that you can’t toggle this directly, but at least you could create an automation where, when your iphone connects to your car, immediately the Siri&Search-Setting is opened. You then have to tap 2times to toggle »Listen for Hey Siri« on though - it’s more like a reminder to switch it manually whenever your phone connects to your car 🤓.
You can use the iOS URL scheme for this:

View attachment 2254928

create a shortcut where you open the URL prefs:root=SIRI. Then create an automation and add it.
Thanks for the post, I’ll look into this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.