Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Hi,

I've got a raspberry pi setup with my movie library that streams to my smart tv using DLNA. The upstairs tv is older, so the new apple tv is hooked up to that. Is there an app out there that I can use? Or will one be available soon?

Thanks!

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
VLC is in development for tvOS. It'll read from a DLNA source too I believe. Hoping to replace my RPi with my new Apple TV too.

DesertDog

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2004
There's 3 of them in the store right now. One is free with IAP, one was free for launch, and the 3rd is $7.99. I tried the two free ones with no luck. One wouldn't show anything nested more then one folder deep and the other would stop playing between 1 and 2 minutes into the video. I didn't try the paid one yet since it was getting late and I couldn't find any info on it at the time for what it supports. Hopefully we'll be getting more options soon and one that works well.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
I'm hoping DirecTV builds an app that turns this into an RVU client a la Samsung TVs. That would be pretty damn slick.

DesertDog

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2004
Update, the app I mentioned that stopped playing yesterday for me in-between the 1 and 2 minute mark is called Localist. I gave another shot tonight and it worked well. Ended up what I was trying to play last night was corrupted and it was the file's fault, not the app's. I've played about 3 hours worth of video through it now with no issues. It's a bit limited in functionality right (no FF, REW, etc.) but for playing straight through a video from the start it work.

xolan99

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Update, the app I mentioned that stopped playing yesterday for me in-between the 1 and 2 minute mark is called Localist. I gave another shot tonight and it worked well. Ended up what I was trying to play last night was corrupted and it was the file's fault, not the app's. I've played about 3 hours worth of video through it now with no issues. It's a bit limited in functionality right (no FF, REW, etc.) but for playing straight through a video from the start it work.

What is the nape of the app?

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
I tried installing LocalCast and the app won't even start! It just hangs up on start up messages like "Locking cache capacitor." I tried quitting the app and starting it again multiple times but no dice. Very odd.

thesheleys

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2008
I tried installing LocalCast and the app won't even start! It just hangs up on start up messages like "Locking cache capacitor." I tried quitting the app and starting it again multiple times but no dice. Very odd.
I had the same problem until I turned on DLNA on the Plex Server. Looks like it sits there until it can see a DLNA serer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.