Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesdmc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Cittagazze
Title says it all, really.

I had an @mac.com email address before mobileme. When @mac.com became @me.com, I started using it.

For no other reason than it looks cooler (shallow, I know), I want to use @mac.com whenever I register for websites, and I want to change the sites where I've used @me.com. I'm not registered at a large number of sites, so it won't be a huge undertaking to go back to @mac.com.

I'm fully aware that if someone sends me an email @mac.com, I'll still receive it. But does anyone know if Apple has set a date when @mac.com won't be valid anymore? Thanks.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
As far as I'm aware they have not set a date. As long as they sell Mac computers they'll probably want to hang onto the domain so will probably keep forwarding mail.

tdgrn

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2008
Little Rock, AR
If you still have a @mac email, that means you had an account before the name was transitioned to Mobile Me. As long as you keep that same account active, you will have a @mac email. If you do let the account expire, even if you renew it, you will lose your @mac email, but you will get your @me email.

This is the best that I can remember when they sent out the emails with all the transitions. Hope this helps!

jamesdmc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Cittagazze
Thanks for all the responses everyone. It's about what I figured.
tdgrn said:
If you do let the account expire, even if you renew it, you will lose your @mac email...
Interestingly, I just checked my account settings and found out that my subscription will end in 13 days!:eek: No worries. I have a renewal box sitting on the desk right beside me. Got it from eBay a couple of months ago (family pack for $82). Just hadn't bothered to open the box and enter the renewal code. Guess I'd better get on it before the whole purpose of starting this thread becomes moot :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.