Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
I know we’re dealing with rumors right now, but I’m not sure I’m up on all of them.

Is the absolute writing on the wall and the next Mac Pro will be pure arm? Should I hoard an extra Mac Pro now? Lol

Thanks

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Some adamantly believe or have convinced themselves another Intel Mac Pro will be released. I personally doubt it and think we’ll at least see an AS Mac Pro announcement by mid 2022, if not the actual shipping unit.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Is the absolute writing on the wall and the next Mac Pro will be pure arm? Should I hoard an extra Mac Pro now?

Rumors have a final refresh on the 2019 Mac Pro, Ice Lake Xeon CPUs (which means a new mobo) & 7000-series RDNA3 GPUs; this would be the Intel Mac Pro to hoard...!

More rumors have a smaller Mac Pro with Apple silicon, taking design cues from the 2019 Mac Pro & "invoking nostalgia" for the G4 Cube...

Some adamantly believe or have convinced themselves another Intel Mac Pro will be released. I personally doubt it and think we’ll at least see an AS Mac Pro announcement by mid 2022, if not the actual shipping unit.

I would expect WWDC 2022 to feature the Mac Pro lineup, focusing on the Apple silicon Mac Pro (Cube) & a (possible) 30" or 32" iMac Pro; shipping December 2022 at the latest...

tormac21

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2021
It's fun to speculate, so I'll throw in my two cents.

No, I don't think we're ever (or at least for the next 5-7 years) going to see an Intel Mac again. It doesn't really make sense. Apple has spent tens of billions on the R&D for their own silicon, so as to be able to control their entire stack. Why would they want to undermine the message that "Apple Silicon > anything else" by launching a new Intel Mac.

Now, I'm not a "Pro" user, so perhaps there's an industry reason to keep intel around for a bit. Maybe there's some highly specialized software that simply does not run well on Apple Silicon right now - things like Houdini, Maya, along those lines. That would probably be the only reason to launch a refreshed and updated Intel Mac.

Joe The Dragon

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2006
It's fun to speculate, so I'll throw in my two cents.

No, I don't think we're ever (or at least for the next 5-7 years) going to see an Intel Mac again. It doesn't really make sense. Apple has spent tens of billions on the R&D for their own silicon, so as to be able to control their entire stack. Why would they want to undermine the message that "Apple Silicon > anything else" by launching a new Intel Mac.

Now, I'm not a "Pro" user, so perhaps there's an industry reason to keep intel around for a bit. Maybe there's some highly specialized software that simply does not run well on Apple Silicon right now - things like Houdini, Maya, along those lines. That would probably be the only reason to launch a refreshed and updated Intel Mac.
they can do an small bump even on the older chipset.
But does there own silicon have the power of an pro workstation + ram and pci-e lanes that are needed?

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
They could release both. An intel giant tower like we currently have. It's a major update because it will have at least PCIe4 (that makes it more major than even any core boost).

Alone with that, a minitower Mac Pro Mini that is apple CPU powered. They can rave how its more powerful than the intel version, but the intel version is there for those that have lots of virtualization, GPU expansion needs (since there is a chance the Apple Mac Pro might not let you use PC graphics cards, which greatly hamper its usefulness for many pros that need a lot of GPU power).

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
I think that there’s no hurry to remove the Intel Mac Pro from the pricelist anytime soon because it’s what let’s them pursue their Apple Silicon product strategy without having to get distracted with things like how to support PCIe GPU cards and the like. Whether that’s just carrying the current model or if a spec bump or motherboard upgrade happens is anyone’s guess. I strongly suspect the purpose of the 7,1 was always to facilitate this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.