Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Hi all, I'm looking for a highly portable, 8+ inch tablet for some specific purposes:
  • Reading PDF files
  • Reading articles on the Instapaper app
  • Watching video (Netflix, YouTuve, VLC, etc.)
  • Telegram / WhatsApp (hopefully I can accomplish the last one)
  • Podcasts
  • RSS
  • Email
  • VERY ocasional browsing
  • VERY ocasional gaming (Pubg on medium-low settings)
I know the bar is pretty high when it comes to 8+ inch tablets, with the iPad mini being pretty much the only good tablet out there, but I just I can't afford its huge price, not to mention that its lack of a frigging audiojack is an instant, non-negotiable deal-breaker to me. However, I don't care so much about premium features honestly. I don't care about the premium manufacturing, the fancy pen, the 100 MP camera or the 1,000,000 DPI screen. I just want a decent enough processor that doesn't get sluggish when browsing videos in YouTube and that works fine for the aforementioned use cases.

Anyway, so far the only models I've found are the Samsung A7 Lite, the Lenovo M8 and one from what I think is an Indian company (I forgot the name, lol). However, all of them seem pretty archaic when it comes to their specs, not to mention my biggest caveat -- they all have 16:10 screens, which I find super impractical (on this regard I have to praise the amazing 3:2 iPad mini display). Yes, they are ok for video, but pretty crappy for anything else, like reading PDF files. That display is just too narrow and the devices way too tall, to the point where they get a bit impractical when it comes to portability imho.

Anyway. I hope you can give me some suggestions! :)

Thanks in advance.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
At the low end of your requirements a Kindle is feasible or you could opt for a vastly more capable Surface GO if screen format/ratio is a deal breaker

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
At the low end of your requirements a Kindle is feasible or you could opt for a vastly more capable Surface GO if screen format/ratio is a deal breaker

AFAIK the Surface GO is a a medium sized tablet, definitely not in the 8+ inch range.

I do have a Kindle Paperwhite but it has nothing to do with what I need to accomplish here.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
AFAIK the Surface GO is a a medium sized tablet, definitely not in the 8+ inch range.

I do have a Kindle Paperwhite but it has nothing to do with what I need to accomplish here.
You state aspect ratio as a major hence the GO you also note pdf,s as a priority hence kindle else it's the Samsung tablets

Reactions: Vegastouch

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

You said 8+ and the surface i believe is 10". What size do you actually prefer? Does Apple still make a 9.7" tablet? Asside from a Amazon Kindle, i dont think they make any 8" and i wouldnt buy a Amazon Kindle or any tablet of theirs. Thats just me.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
No. No there is not decent alternative.

Android tablets in 8" size are generally not as good as there 10 or 11" brothers. Generally as well this is bargain basement stuff.

Samsung tab s6 lite might be the only one with a decent enough chipset. It will not be fast though.

Stay far away from Lenovo or Chinese brands.

My advice is if you can't deal with a 10-11" tablet where you will find better specs and deals then I would just save up for the iPad.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
No. No there is not decent alternative.

Android tablets in 8" size are generally not as good as there 10 or 11" brothers. Generally as well this is bargain basement stuff.

Samsung tab s6 lite might be the only one with a decent enough chipset. It will not be fast though.

Stay far away from Lenovo or Chinese brands.

My advice is if you can't deal with a 10-11" tablet where you will find better specs and deals then I would just save up for the iPad.
This or look at maybe a refurbed or pre-owned iPad Mini 5. Still has an A12 which will be better than anything comparably priced on Android and has plenty of power for everything you’re looking to do. Also still has a headphone jack.

Reactions: segfaultdotorg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.