Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustTheWayItIs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2022
So, I'm basically looking at getting an iPhone 5 with IOS 6.

I have 2 options of buying. First is to buy one from a seller which is more expensive because it is a phone which has IOS6 originally installed on it just as it was first released.

The second option I have, is to buy another cheaper iPhone 5 from the same seller which has IOS 10 installed and then I would have to jailbreak it myself and put it back to IOS 6.

My question is, is there any difference in terms of stability, bugs, errors, problems etc between an iPhone 5 which shipped from the Apple factory with IOS 6 installed vs an iPhone 5 which I would have to jailbreak and downgrade?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So, I'm basically looking at getting an iPhone 5 with IOS 6.

I have 2 options of buying. First is to buy one from a seller which is more expensive because it is a phone which has IOS6 originally installed on it just as it was first released.

The second option I have, is to buy another cheaper iPhone 5 from the same seller which has IOS 10 installed and then I would have to jailbreak it myself and put it back to IOS 6.

My question is, is there any difference in terms of stability, bugs, errors, problems etc between an iPhone 5 which shipped from the Apple factory with IOS 6 installed vs an iPhone 5 which I would have to jailbreak and downgrade?
That depends.

Which version of iOS 6? As with anything, earlier releases are going to be buggier than later releases. Apple released a series of bug fixes shortly after launch of 6.0 that gave us 6.0.1, 6.0.2 and so on before 6.1 which was fairly stable. Later versions, such as 6.1.6 were more enhancement based.

You still get iCloud on 6. While my iPhone 5 is on iOS 10 now, I have a 3GS on 6.1.6 that uses iCloud.

iOS 6 jailbroken. Well, you should know that a lot of old tweaks aren't going to work because you can't serialize them. You won't be able to use BiteSMS for example. It requires connection to activation servers which no longer exist because the company no longer exists. Any bugs that are in these old tweaks and apps are going to be what you experience though, not any underlying problems with iOS 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.