Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
I know that the quick answer is "no", but what are the possibilities of having an expert repair person (say, like Louis Rossman) hard wire a 4tb hard drive into an iPad mini? What if money weren't an issue? This would make a perfect device for something I do for work, and would pay handsomely if there was a service out there that did this. Is there any technical/software reason this is not possible, even by a pro? Or any other options?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I know that the quick answer is "no", but what are the possibilities of having an expert repair person (say, like Louis Rossman) hard wire a 4tb hard drive into an iPad mini? What if money weren't an issue? This would make a perfect device for something I do for work, and would pay handsomely if there was a service out there that did this. Is there any technical/software reason this is not possible, even by a pro? Or any other options?
Yes, if money were no object you could replace a 64GB Mini with a 256GB Mini. 😀

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
An iPad Mini 4's storage cannot be increased. It is impossible to remove the soldered Flash memory from the logic board. You can improve the way you manage your storage. Ensure that you have photos stored in the cloud and are utilizing iCloud.
That's not true. The SSDs are not physically part of the SoC, they have been soldered on, so they can be removed. If money were no object, a qualified repair shop could detach the old SSD and micro-solder a larger capacity SSD back on.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
As far as I've heard, you can upgrade the SSD inside the iPad, but it's a real tough procedure for the average person, and it's hard to find a shop that does it correctly and for a price less than just buying a higher storage version.

Reactions: arefbe

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
As far as I've heard, you can upgrade the SSD inside the iPad, but it's a real tough procedure for the average person, and it's hard to find a shop that does it correctly and for a price less than just buying a higher storage version.

It requires specialized equipment and microsoldering so it’s pretty much impossible to do for the average techie much less an average person.

In China, Malaysia, etc. where labor is relatively cheap, it seems the aftermarket NAND flash upgrade is cheaper than Apple’s storage tax. Not surprising considering Apple charges $0.78125/GB when SSD prices have dropped to $0.05/GB.

Doing an aftermarket upgrade also allows devices like the iPad 9th gen and iPad mini to get 512GB+ storage which Apple does not offer.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
It requires specialized equipment and microsoldering so it’s pretty much impossible to do for the average techie much less an average person.

In China, Malaysia, etc. where labor is relatively cheap, it seems the aftermarket NAND flash upgrade is cheaper than Apple’s storage tax. Not surprising considering Apple charges $0.78125/GB when SSD prices have dropped to $0.05/GB.

Doing an aftermarket upgrade also allows devices like the iPad 9th gen and iPad mini to get 512GB+ storage which Apple does not offer.
Yeah, problem is, most people here live in the U.S.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yeah, problem is, most people here live in the U.S.

OP did say money is no object. He can fly to China or Malaysia to get it done. :p

I saw these comments on a Filipino forum.

^my friends from China always recommend that I purchase the base Apple device... then they will bring it to Schenzhen for me for the necessary upgrades...

I recall a few years back in my trip in Shenzen, there were repair shops that actually offered storage upgrades on iPhones and android phones. My friend tried the service with her old iPhone and it worked flawlessly. I heard in the area it was a common aftermarket upgrade.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Even if possible, increased power consumption and heat would be an issue, especially in such a small device.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
4TB creates a lot more heat than 1TB or less.

I have 1-4TB SSDs and honestly, they seem about the same.

That said, I believe 4TB requires multiple NAND flash chips. I’m guessing the maximum the iPad mini can accommodate is just 1TB (assuming software supports it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.