Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike142wood

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2022
Realize that deleting the app (News.app) and its plugins is a non-starter, the protection is not worth breaking.

However, I would like to reduce the load of NewsToday2 (/System/Applications/News.app/Contents/PlugIns/NewsToday2.appex/Contents/MacOS/NewsToday2) because currently it uses about 1 HOUR of CPU time every day.

Is the possible solution to follow what SVENMANY mentioned on Jun 2 above, using launchctl after every reboot to turn it off? I think I could arrange that.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
using launchctl after every reboot to turn it off? I think I could arrange that.
You can
- put the command into an executable .command file and double-click it

Code:
#!/bin/zsh
launchctl bootout gui/501/com.apple.newsd
exit 0

- put the command into an AppleScript, save it as an app and add it as a login item https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/open-items-automatically-when-you-log-in-mh15189/mac

Code:
try
do shell script "/bin/launchctl bootout gui/501/com.apple.newsd"
end try

- create a launch agent
https://developer.apple.com/library...stemStartup/Chapters/CreatingLaunchdJobs.html
https://www.karltarvas.com/2020/09/11/macos-run-script-on-startup.html
https://www.launchd.info

fivenotrump

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Central England
I don't have newsd running on my Macs: I assumed that this was because I unchecked News in iCloud preferences, but that may not be the reason. I don't have the News*.appex plugins running either. I have noticed that if I offer to edit the widgets in Today view the two news plugins are started _even if no news widget is installed_; they are easily killed off and do not reappear until the next time Today view is edited.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I don't have newsd running on my Macs: I assumed that this was because I unchecked News in iCloud preferences, but that may not be the reason. I don't have the News*.appex plugins running either. I have noticed that if I offer to edit the widgets in Today view the two news plugins are started _even if no news widget is installed_; they are easily killed off and do not reappear until the next time Today view is edited.
I am sure you are right about widgets. Any fiddling with widgets starts the news processes. I have long ago removed all widgets from Notifications - and newsd never runs (when I am looking with Activity Monitor).

Sponb

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2022
Wheeeeeelp this doesn't really solve OP's problem, because they specified "in Monterey", but without much difficulty I did find a workaround that, functionally, solved all these kinds of problems for me.

Linux installed pretty easily on my Intel Mac hardware.

Boom, no more corporate-bottom-line-supporting, user-need-defying bloatware unless I choose to install it myself. Bonus, the computer is MUCH faster running Linux than MacOS. And is an operating system aimed primarily at providing a usable tool to adult users, not just at reducing support requests from children and grandparents who want to be able to say, "Look at me, I can use the computer!!". It has apps to do 98% of what I need a computer for.

Plus, when I have a problem, I can post to user forums where people reply with answers, instead of with "Why would you want to do that? That doesn't benefit Apple at all for you to be able to do!" or "Silly you, wanting to treat a computer you paid big bucks for as if you own it. Apple owns the software you rely on as a tool, not you. The solution to your issue is to be quiet and do as you're told."

True, there is still 2% stuff I need to do that there aren't Linux apps for, and I do have to keep an old mac around for those odd Mac-only apps I still depend on. Hopefully that will change.

Of course, if you're a kid or a grandparent, don't do this. It's only for people who can actually operate a computer.

I say: If you want to do carpentry, learn to do carpentry. Don't pretend it would be constructive for the carpentry tool manufacturers to dumb their tools down so kids and grandparents can fiddle with them without hurting themselves. What good would that do, for carpentry, or anyone who understands the value of a skilled carpenter with adequate tools?

LOL, I just imagined a CarpentryRumors.com website, where people post things "I just upgraded my hammer, and now it won't let me hammer the small nails I need anymore, it will only hammer the big ones", and people replying things like, "Why do you want to hammer smaller nails? That's a bad idea, the hammer will stop working" and "Every field is like that nowadays, get used to it. Bricklaying trowels are locked into one kind of brick now, too. It's better that way, it cuts down on support requests."

Who needs expertise anymore? We'll just make everything so nobody has to have any knowledge, and every kid and grandparent can use them without getting frustrated.

Seriously, it's been like a game with Apple for the last 25 years, to see how much they could take away from users. Every "upgrade" and "improvement" is less flexible, has less features, requires more work to do simple things, is less serviceable, and is all-around less usable for the actual things an educated adult computer owner used to want a computer for. And Apple's OS groups don't make computer operating systems anymore, they make appliance embedded systems. Ok, that's an exaggeration, but, they won't have to move very far from where they're at before it won't be. And frankly, I'm not interested in kids and grandparents being able to use a "computer-y" device, I'm interested in what I'M able to do using an actual personal computer as a tool. Which is less and less, with Apple. I'm done.

I'm not saying that has to be the answer for everybody. I'm sure Apple will be a leader in manufacturing disposable consumer computing appliances for decades to come, and rightly so, they're very good at it. But that's not what I need.

End of rant. Sorry, been a long day of looking for help and finding little but people cheerleading for Apple.

Rivvvers

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
The Shire
Im currently on Venture 13.6.3 and this is still going on, shocking really how theyve made this operate.
I figured out if you disable the iCloud News syncing in system settings it puts it out of operation, you lose source syncing but you can continue to use the news app without all the data caching.

If you monitor newsd in Activity Monitor under disk you can see it only uses data to the articles you navigate to.
I suspect this problem arises when you follow a lot of different sources within News app.
I posted this in another thread, so i thought it might be helpful here also.
No need to delete the app its self, just kill the daemon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.