Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Normally I’m one to update my iPhone the day a new iOS is released but this time around one of my favorite apps, according to the developer, will not be compatible with iOS 16, hence the developer is suggesting all people that use this app to not update to iOS 16. The company’s plan is to release a new version of the app for purchase within iOS 16 in the coming months by the end of the year.

Point being, I have to stay on iOS 15 on my iPhone…. But I desperately never want to see a red notification dot on the settings app on my iPhone. I’m hoping there is a way to ignore the update and never be bothered to update.

boogas8

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2014
I’d turn off automatic updates. That way updates are only searched for when you manually do it. Once a search is completed and a possible update is found I’m not sure there’s a way remove the notification. A thought would be to proceed with the download but do not install. Then go and delete the update file. Not sure if that’d work but they’d me my first try.

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
Sounds very sketchy, there really isn't much different for app makers that should pose a problem for updating to iOS16.

boogas8

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2014
Sounds very sketchy, there really isn't much different for app makers that should pose a problem for updating to iOS16.

It’s very common for companies to request people not to update phones right away until they (or their vendor) verified everything still works. The chances of anything breaking aren’t that high but could depending on how things were setup. At my old job I updated anyways but company wide emails would go out when you’d actually be allowed to.

Reactions: revs

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I’d turn off automatic updates. That way updates are only searched for when you manually do it. Once a search is completed and a possible update is found I’m not sure there’s a way remove the notification. A thought would be to proceed with the download but do not install. Then go and delete the update file. Not sure if that’d work but they’d me my first try.
Thank you just turned it off.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
It will still check for updates automatically. What you have to do is delete the update from storage in Settings and the badge will disappear. It has to be downloaded (but not installed) to delete it.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Thank you,how do I go about deleting it?
You can't delete it just yet as there's no update yet, but if the badge shows up in the future, you would delete it in Settings > General > iPhone Storage.

iOS 16 would show up in the list just like one of the apps there. Select it and delete it and the badge will be gone.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
You can't delete it just yet as there's no update yet, but if the badge shows up in the future, you would delete it in Settings > General > iPhone Storage.

iOS 16 would show up in the list just like one of the apps there. Select it and delete it and the badge will be gone.

The iOS update file no longer appears under Settings>General>iPhone Storage

as of iOS 15. Apple took it away. Because we are just little children to them. Mommy Apple knows what is best for us.

Is there any other way to delete the file (e.g., from a Mac) or otherwise turn off that horrid update badge?

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The iOS update file no longer appears under Settings>General>iPhone Storage

as of iOS 15. Apple took it away. Because we are just little children to them. Mommy Apple knows what is best for us.

Is there any other way to delete the file (e.g., from a Mac) or otherwise turn off that horrid update badge?
I've used this method already on iOS 15. The file might not be there because you have to download (not install) the update first to get it to show up in order to delete it. Once you do then the badge goes away.

If this is the case you can press and hold on "Download and Install" and select "Download Only" to download it for deletion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aston441

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I've used this method already on iOS 15. The file might not be there because you have to download (not install) the update first to get it to show up in order to delete it. Once you do then the badge goes away.

If this is the case you can press and hold on "Download and Install" and select "Download Only" to download it for deletion.
Thanks! I'll try that later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.