Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
My elderly mother keeps accidentally turning on airplane mode, or turning off cellular data or wifi from the control center. I've tried to explain to her how not to do it, but somehow she is still managing. This sometimes causes her to become completely unreachable until she notices and turns them off. This can be dangerous at her age since she's often in the house alone.

Basically, is there a way to just remove this from the control center completely, so she has to go into Settings if she wants to toggle these settings? I wish I knew how/when she's toggling these so I could help her not do so, but just removing them would solve the problem too.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
No. They’re core features of Control Center.
Certain very old people shouldn’t be using something so confusing as an iPhone.
For some people, it’s baffling.

Reactions: Fred Zed

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
The only thing you can do is to toggle the settings so that control center is only accessible from the home screen and not within apps or the lock screen. This will reduce the accidents, but it will also be an inconvenience for her if she uses the control center often.

But I wonder if shortcut automations can access the airplane/wifi/cell settings? If so you can set time and action triggers to check and turn those settings back on. I have no idea if this is possible at all.

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
My elderly mother keeps accidentally turning on airplane mode, or turning off cellular data or wifi from the control center. I've tried to explain to her how not to do it, but somehow she is still managing. This sometimes causes her to become completely unreachable until she notices and turns them off. This can be dangerous at her age since she's often in the house alone.

Basically, is there a way to just remove this from the control center completely, so she has to go into Settings if she wants to toggle these settings? I wish I knew how/when she's toggling these so I could help her not do so, but just removing them would solve the problem too.
Sorry that your mother is getting confused, but it is impossible to remove that. Is she using a Face ID or Touch ID iPhone? Control center is easier to access with a Touch ID iPhone than an Face ID iPhone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Jailbreaking is pretty much your only answer here. The last time I was current with what was happening in the JB scene was December 2020 though so no idea what's out there now.

Nine times out of ten though, most people aren't in the range to jailbreak even if they wanted to. And in this instance it'd probably just make things way more complicated than it is now.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
No. They’re core features of Control Center.
Certain very old people shouldn’t be using something so confusing as an iPhone.
For some people, it’s baffling.
She uses a lot of the phone's features just fine, including voice messages, mail, looking up things on the web, setting timers and alarms, etc... She gets good use out of her phone and loves it 99% of the time.

This is happening accidentally and we haven't yet figured out when or exactly how. She said she's going to check it every morning to make sure Airplane mode is off, but some people mentioned below that it can be turned off with automations so I'm going to look into that.

Thanks to everyone in this thread who offered suggestions.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Keep in mind that the ‘Airplane Mode’ automation trigger only works when airplane mode is turned on/off. If she happens to only turn off cellular and/or Wi-Fi, then the automation wouldn’t run.

A potential workaround for that scenario could be to use the ’App’ trigger, such that when any app is opened/closed, turn Wi-Fi on, cellular on, and airplane mode off. That would pretty much guarantee all three of these are set correctly whenever she uses her phone. You still have the potential situation where she could accidentally turn them off from the Home Screen and doesn’t open any apps. In that case, you could use other triggers for additional redundancy, such as time of day, or when charging.

Also, airplane mode remembers your Wi-Fi (and Bluetooth) settings. On her phone, turn airplane mode on, turn Wi-Fi on, then turn airplane mode off again. That way, if she accidentally turns on airplane mode and the automations fail to run for whatever reason, she’ll at least still have Wi-Fi. Though I suppose you still have the situation where she could accidentally tap these two buttons and mess it up.

BlueandSilver

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2018
I work with elderly people and their technology for a living. As mentioned above I think those are great ideas. I would make a shortcut that runs whenever airplane mode is turned on, it would automatically turn on Wi-Fi and cellular, and then turn off airplane mode. Then on top of that I would make a shortcut where when you open certain apps it also will turn on Wi-Fi and cellular, and then turns off airplane mode. But select literally every app for that one. As a bonus you could do another one where every time she closes those apps it would do those same things. That would be extremely effective and comprehensive.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
Dementia in the elderly is common and some will do the strangest things like getting into a app and going deeper and deeper into and can not figure out how to get back to where they wanted to be in the app. I know as I deal with it daily. The biggest thing is trying to assist a person with dementia to get back to the point they want to be in apps. The other day when a power outage occurred I had a request for that square white thing to charge her iPhone. I looked befuddled as I was trying to understand what was wanted. I finally figured it out that the request was for a power brick.

AJACs3

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2014
As folks have mentioned, a Shortcut automation triggered by apps works, and don’t forget you can also just set it to run at specific times during the day. Since she seems to be aware of and understands the issue, you could even save a “bookmark” to the home screen that she can launch to make sure it is on saving her the hassle of stepping through menus, etc.

Reactions: compwiz1202

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021

So … as somebody who’s recently had to deal with this … first and foremost, my sympathies.

Forget about the technology. It doesn’t matter.

At all.

Worse, it’s just a waste of your time and energy — and, before you know it, hopefully later rather than sooner but guaranteed before you expect, you’re not going to have enough of either to waste on tech support.

Start by talking with her primary care physician. If your mother is even remotely willing to consider it, get her an appointment with a neurosurgeon.

And, no matter what she says, figure out now (NOW NOW NOW NOW! NOW!! NOW!!!) how you will ensure she is well cared for when she is no longer able to perform the tasks of an independently responsible adult.

For me and my sister, the last straw was this summer. I and my mother live several miles away from each other in Tempe, Arizona — a suburb of Phoenix. We had had a lot of concerns, etc.; this didn’t come out of the blue. But her air conditioner died on what later turned out to be the hottest day of the summer. My sister found out late in the day from a complaint Mom made on Facebook. Mom was going to just turn on a fan and put a wet rag on her head. (Overnight lows were in the upper-90s.) I scrambled to get her checked into a hotel for a couple nights. The next morning I got a call from the hotel front desk that she had already checked herself out and was sitting in the lobby.

Long story cut short … she’s now in the second assisted living facility and fortunately happy in this one. The closing date on her home sale (to pay for all of this) is next week … and, in the process, we discovered that we waited waaaaaaay too long. There was far too much in her home that was definitely “not right,” that wasn’t apparent to either my sister or me in our visits.

Good luck. You need it.

b&

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.