Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmm55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
My iphone battery drains much faster with wifi and bluetooth turned on. When I turn them off, the phone arbitrarily turns them back on at some later point. Is there a way to stop this? If not, this is a serious technical deficiency in iphones. If I want my bluetooth or wifi on, I'll d*mn well turn them on. I don't want my phone doing things I don't want it to do.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I imagine you are turning it "off" in the quick settings by wiping down in the top right corner? if so that is just temporarily turning them off you would need to go into the settings and actually turn them off

Reactions: max2

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Yes.
Turn them off in Settings and they’ll stay off.

Turn them off in Control Center and they’ll turn back on automatically the next day.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My iphone battery drains much faster with wifi and bluetooth turned on. When I turn them off, the phone arbitrarily turns them back on at some later point. Is there a way to stop this? If not, this is a serious technical deficiency in iphones. If I want my bluetooth or wifi on, I'll d*mn well turn them on. I don't want my phone doing things I don't want it to do.
As @cthompson94 mentioned, you have to go into Settings and turn them off there.

With WiFi, you can work around this though by still having it on but disconnected. You just tell the phone (in the Settings app) not to auto connect to known networks. Unfortunately you have to select each network one by one and turn that off.

When you want to actually connect to a WiFi network then, you can just tap and hold on the WiFi icon from the Control Center and select the network.

With Control Center you can tap and hold on Bluetooth and disconnect from devices as well (by tapping on them). Leaves BT on, but you aren't connected to any BT device you don't want to be connected to.

Last edited:
Reactions: max2

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Wi-Fi On definitely uses a lot of battery power even when the phone isn’t being used and is locked. I’ve verified it many times.

Bluetooth On on the other hand uses virtually nothing. You can leave Bluetooth on 24/7 and you won’t notice any hit to the battery.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I think using a Apple Watch with unlocking on a iPhone when wearing a mask, if you still need to wear one, requires Wi-Fi on

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.