Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maroTheSecond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2022
So, my iMac G3 (slot loading summer 2001) is in a not so fun situation, where the SSD is blank, the CD reader is broken, and I don't have any other (working) apple computers that uses firewire. The previous hard drive that was in the iMac G3 is dead. Does anyone know where I could maybe get a pre-installed version of mac os X tiger to put on the SSD? And even if i get it, how do I initialize that SSD if I don't have an OS to do so with?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
If you have another Mac capable of running whichever OS version the iMac can run. You can pop the HDD in said Mac. Install Mac OS. Then move the HDD back into the iMac.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Seems you'll need to get some more hardware ...
1) If you have a Mac with optical drive and Thunderbolt(MiniDisplayPort-Socket): then You may go for a ThunderboltToFW-Adapter connect that other Mac (which has to be in TDM) via FW to Your iMac.
A Thunderbolt3/4(USB-C-Socket) requires another USB-C-To-MiniDisplayPort-Adapter.
2) Or look for an external optical drive with FireWire-connector. That's the SwissArmyKnife for all sort of legacy Macs.
It's mandatory to start installation from the iMac's BootScreen (unless you have another G3-Mac: then the iMacG3 could be in TDM and the other G3 direct the installation onto the other FW-connected G3's hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.