Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

hassiman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
San Diego
I was just wondering if there is anything that can protect your iPhone/computer if you need to connect to public Wi-Fi in an airport or hotel?
My wife may need to use her Win laptop to connect to her office if something critical comes up when we are on vacation. I was thinking about a stand-alone Wi-Fi Hotspot but they are expensive. ATT want $450.00 for the hardware... Blew my mind. I know my iPhone 13 ProMax can be a hot-spot but that opens my phone to the bad guys.
Any ideas???

Thanks!

TyWahn

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2003
Get a VPN. I’ve heard good things about ExpressVPN. Comes configured so all you have to do is hit “connect”

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
I guess your wife has a VPN on her Business Laptop to connect to the company. So I guess she is safe to connect with a public wifi.

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
I use a VPN from the 1.1.1.1 Cloudflare app on my iPad and iPhone. Free, easy to use, and from a reputable company. (For the most part.)

scoresman903

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2022
Another VPN company to investigate is Private Internet Access (PIA). They have many locations to choose from, including international, and the speed is usually very quick. They are currently running a deal for $2.03 per month if you subscribe for three years, and have three-months free. You can run up to 10 devices simultaneously, so both of you can use your laptops and phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.