Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fratdoan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
Hello everyone, I'm kinda new on the forum.

I have early 2011 15" MacbookPro and still works very well for basic use. I've already replaced its HDD and removed the optical drive, upgraded its RAM capacity over the years.

I can still use my macbook but want to make it lighter than now. Is there any way to replace my battery with the other type of macbook battery (Ex. 2014 MacbookPro) to make it lighter? If it is what kind of battery should I buy? I can fix the any kind of problems about stabilizing it.

I don't mind that the new battery may shorten the time of usage. I just want to make it lighter :) Also I'm open to other suggestions to make early 2011 15" MacBookPro lighter.

Thank you!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nope, not really and besides lighter = less capacity. How many ounces would you guess you'd save even if it were possible?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Hello everyone, I'm kinda new on the forum.

I have early 2011 15" MacbookPro and still works very well for basic use. I've already replaced its HDD and removed the optical drive, upgraded its RAM capacity over the years.

I can still use my macbook but want to make it lighter than now. Is there any way to replace my battery with the other type of macbook battery (Ex. 2014 MacbookPro) to make it lighter? If it is what kind of battery should I buy? I can fix the any kind of problems about stabilizing it.

I don't mind that the new battery may shorten the time of usage. I just want to make it lighter :) Also I'm open to other suggestions to make early 2011 15" MacBookPro lighter.

Thank you!

You might see what the used prices are for a 2013 MBP pros. I suspect they are pretty low. And you would get a lighter system, and a much better screen.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The battery "is what it is".
And there aren't any "lighter" replacements.

fratdoan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
Nope, not really and besides lighter = less capacity. How many ounces would you guess you'd save even if it were possible?

Im ok with loosing some capacity, actually my battery is also 5 years old and takes 2 and half hour to finish, Thanks for replying.
[doublepost=1528558842][/doublepost]
You might see what the used prices are for a 2013 MBP pros. I suspect they are pretty low. And you would get a lighter system, and a much better screen.

Yeah I thought about the same but I do have 2017 retina iMac as well, I'm just using my old MacBook Pro to take some notes and watch videos on bed. Looking fo the cheapest option to make it more portable :) Thanks.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Im ok with loosing some capacity, actually my battery is also 5 years old and takes 2 and half hour to finish, Thanks for replying.
[doublepost=1528558842][/doublepost]

Yeah I thought about the same but I do have 2017 retina iMac as well, I'm just using my old MacBook Pro to take some notes and watch videos on bed. Looking fo the cheapest option to make it more portable :) Thanks.

There is no way to make it more portable as far as weight goes, you can replace the battery of course and get better battery life but thats about it.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
There is always helium.

Install a bladder system, then inflate and get there before it gets heavy again. Note, you can probably hold more helium in a carrying case.

2nd note... I wouldn’t do it.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

If that is your use case, consider an iPad, and if you need type more get a keyboard cover.

Reactions: snaky69
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.