Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
iOS version will be the main item. The 5 is stuck on iOS 9. Are there apps you want to use that need a newer version of iOS? Do you need more than 16gb for storage?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
the iOSX as everyone stated on the 5 is not current and will never be.
I used t watch movies on a bus ride home from NYC on the itouch in 2009-11
thanks Jobs for the Ipad!

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Mine is the 64g capacity Project (RED). Now I'm wondering what vintage it is. I could use a 5 terabyte version, but who wants to load an iPod with movies, besides me?
Sorry, got confused on the 5,1 models. The 16gb version was a cheaper version released after the 32 and 64 models. It also lacked the rear camera.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Not gonna lie, stumbling up this thread made me aware that Apple still sells an iPod Touch – really thought everything with "iPod" was discontinued by now. Enjoy it, I'm sure it still is a great device! (If I didn't already use an iPhone, I'd probably be in the market, too.)

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Always admired how thin the iPod Touch is in comparison to the iPhone – however as I also still have to carry an (i)Phone with me, I could justify an additional iPod Touch for me personally. But every use case is different as we can see – enjoy your new iPod Touch!

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I purchased an IpT5 when it first came out, and STILL have it to this day! However, I stopped using it mainstream around 3 years ago. What changed was I got a used iPad Air (the 2013 model, not to be confused with the ones that came out a mere few years ago). My IpT5 was on ios7, while my Ipad Air was on ios8. Both never got updated. That made it worse for the apps getting updates, but I do still use apps that never got updated for 64-bit support.

Issues of me never getting newer versions of iOS, the IpT5 is indeed maxed out at ios9.3.5. It's also long in the tooth as far as specs go. It can still run, but the range is "OK" to noticeable sluggishness. I first got the IpT3, then IpT4 as well due to improvements to the screen, but the IpT6 and IpT7 never offered those.

$300 for a 128 GB isn't too bad, but at that price, I may as well shell out another $130 for the basic, 8th gen Ipad. But even then, I'm having a hard time justifying that (that price range also has to compete with the Nintendo Switch), so I've been in limbo for the past few years about a replacement device. Old me appreciated the portability of the IpT5... fits easily in your pocket! But these days, having a larger screen suits me better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.