Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
That’s true. I guess I don’t need SIP. Now I’m trying to make it work from Windows back to MacOS. I backed up my startup disk with CCC that High Sierra automatically converted to APFS and reformatted it JHFS+ and cloned the files back. But now there is no recovery partition so I’m reinstalling High Sierra on the external drive so I can clone the recovery partition with CCC. It’s taking a long time over FW800. Then hopefully the Boot Camp control panel in Windows will be able to see the MacOS startup disk. It’s an awful lot of work Apple is putting us through.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Yes, I am using a non flashed R9 380 to test it.
[doublepost=1507013546][/doublepost]

That's for the detail info, will check it out.

Jief7 is very active in that thread over the last 2-3 days. It might be a good time to try it out and ask questions.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Jief7 is very active in that thread over the last 2-3 days. It might be a good time to try it out and ask questions.

I read through the entire thread for 2-3 times, but still can't quite get the steps on how to do it. In fact, I am still figuring out what's GOP, that's new to me, and seems critical in this case.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I read through the entire thread for 2-3 times, but still can't quite get the steps on how to do it. In fact, I am still figuring out what's GOP, that's new to me, and seems critical in this case.

Most of that thread is about Clover, which is not what I'm getting at anyway.

The important bit is that Jief states he has created a fork of rEFInd that will init any GOP compatible graphics card, thus enabling boot screens on Mac Pro for any GOP-supported card (pretty much any Nvidia or AMD GPU in the last couple of generations).

GOP is Graphics Output Protocol, used by UEFI to display graphical output prior to the OS loading. This feature started to added to Nvidia and AMD firmware I think around the time of the Nvidia GTX7xx series. I believe your R9 380 is GOP-compatible.

So, in theory, you should be able to install his fork of rEFInd which will init the GPU and you have boot screens.

His fork on Sourceforge is not compiled. So you either have to compile it yourself or ask him for a compiled version.

I don't know if this will work, but if it does, everyone can have boot screens provided they get a recent card. That would be a big deal.

Reactions: orph and h9826790

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC

The important bit is that Jief states he has created a fork of rEFInd that will init any GOP compatible graphics card, thus enabling boot screens on Mac Pro for any GOP-supported card (pretty much any Nvidia or AMD GPU in the last couple of generations).

GOP is Graphics Output Protocol, used by UEFI to display graphical output prior to the OS loading. This feature started to added to Nvidia and AMD firmware I think around the time of the Nvidia GTX7xx series. I believe your R9 380 is GOP-compatible.

So, in theory, you should be able to install his fork of rEFInd which will init the GPU and you have boot screens.

His fork on Sourceforge is not compiled. So you either have to compile it yourself or ask him for a compiled version.

I don't know if this will work, but if it does, everyone can have boot screens provided they get a recent card. That would be a big deal.

My Mac Mini with a Geforce 320, had a GOP firmware in it's boot Rom. So it's not something Apple doesn't use.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

Thanks for the detailed reply, much more clear now. Just downloaded and read the building instruction. Can't build that in MacOS. May be it's time to learn more about Linux :D

whoisandy

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2009
Anyway, I got it to boot to the external drive by pressing left arrow key and then pressing Enter, blindly.

With only two OS drives to choose from, it's not hard to do this in the dark on a blank screen by just using the arrow key and pressing Enter.

So are you saying that if you hold down ALT while booting your Mac, you still technically get the Boot Disk Menu, you just can't see it? I just upgraded from a flashed GTX 680 to a non-flashed GTX 1070 and when I held ALT first time booting up, I got the boot chime and it went straight to OSX. Should I reset PRAM? Let me know if that theory is correct that I should still get to a "blank" boot screen by holding ALT on startup. I took a picture of my startup boot disk menu before I put the 1070 in :)

Thanks

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
With only two OS drives to choose from, it's not hard to do this in the dark on a blank screen by just using the arrow key and pressing Enter.
Use System Preferences > Startup Disk instead of the boot menu. Works just as well if you know what OS you want to boot into ahead of time.

The only other option I see is to have a secondary EFI graphics card such as the GeForce GT 120 just for boot screens. It works, but not without switching the cables to it.

whoisandy

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2009
Use System Preferences > Startup Disk instead of the boot menu. Works just as well if you know what OS you want to boot into ahead of time.

The only other option I see is to have a secondary EFI graphics card such as the GeForce GT 120 just for boot screens. It works, but not without switching the cables to it.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a triple boot currently on my Mac Pro 5,1. Mac/Win/Linux (Ubuntu). A while ago, I did a tutorial to get my Ubuntu drive to show up in the boot screen menu - I've been using that method ever since. I can see myself going from Mac to Win(Bootcamp) easily via the Startup Disk option you described but when I want to go into Linux, I'm unsure of how to get back into OSX. That's one of the drawbacks of using the Startup Disk System Prefs option, for me, personally. It changes the startup disk permanently (until you change it back in OSX/Bootcamp) and I'm looking for a next-boot-only or one-time-boot change. That's why I was thinking I could just try the blind bootscreen method since I know what it looks like.

My fear is that I'll change the startup disk in system prefs and I'll get stuck booting into Linux every time and will have to swap my flashed card back in to correct it. I hope that all makes sense. Let me know if I'm missing anything (Like an option to force boot back into OSX from Ubuntu).

Thanks!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks for the quick reply. I have a triple boot currently on my Mac Pro 5,1. Mac/Win/Linux (Ubuntu). A while ago, I did a tutorial to get my Ubuntu drive to show up in the boot screen menu - I've been using that method ever since. I can see myself going from Mac to Win(Bootcamp) easily via the Startup Disk option you described but when I want to go into Linux, I'm unsure of how to get back into OSX. That's one of the drawbacks of using the Startup Disk System Prefs option, for me, personally. It changes the startup disk permanently (until you change it back in OSX/Bootcamp) and I'm looking for a next-boot-only or one-time-boot change. That's why I was thinking I could just try the blind bootscreen method since I know what it looks like.

My fear is that I'll change the startup disk in system prefs and I'll get stuck booting into Linux every time and will have to swap my flashed card back in to correct it. I hope that all makes sense. Let me know if I'm missing anything (Like an option to force boot back into OSX from Ubuntu).

Thanks!

PRAM reset will always bring you back to OSX on the next boot.

Reactions: ActionableMango

whoisandy

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2009
I'm not able to get to the boot screen by holding alt. Each time it just boots straight to my Mac login screen. I reset PRAM and now I have NO video at all. I'm assuming it reset back to the original OSX video driver and it's not using the Nvidia web driver anymore. I can tell I have no video but I'm on my Mac desktop. I think I need to swap my flashed 680 back in...

So did I do something wrong or is there no way to get to the startup boot menu blindly? So far it has skipped over it every time and booted straight to OS X.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I'm assuming it reset back to the original OSX video driver and it's not using the Nvidia web driver anymore.

Yep, PRAM reset will do that too.

Frankly I don't think you should be running a triple boot computer without boot screens--I feel like this will constantly be trouble. Get the card flashed and recoup cost by selling the 680.

whoisandy

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2009
Yep, PRAM reset will do that too.

Frankly I don't think you should be running a triple boot computer without boot screens--I feel like this will constantly be trouble. Get the card flashed and recoup cost by selling the 680.

Good idea. I was thinking of getting a GT 120 but my PCIe slots are at a premium. Time to pony up and just get it flashed.

inoperable

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2017
Hello everyone,

I recently salvaged one MacPro 3,1 2.8 Quad- the thing is running smooth, tested with macOS 10.8.6 and 10.11.5.
It had a fried GPU, so I put an Evga GTX 760 in it and - no wonders - I can't see anything until the OS is loaded, which
isn't a problem until I tried to install Windows / Linux.

I simply can't boot the OS without any output.

I installed refind, I know it works but it's not getting past black screen
I installed clover, which magically turns initializes GOP on the GPU so I can see something, but I can't get past clover menu, meaning any option chosen isn't working ...

So... how am I suppose to boot anything EFI-based on the MP?

Please, don't tell me to grab some other GPU. I don't have any other GPU, and even if I had - I don't care about it, I care about what I'm asking above

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hello everyone,

I recently salvaged one MacPro 3,1 2.8 Quad- the thing is running smooth, tested with macOS 10.8.6 and 10.11.5.
It had a fried GPU, so I put an Evga GTX 760 in it and - no wonders - I can't see anything until the OS is loaded, which
isn't a problem until I tried to install Windows / Linux.

I simply can't boot the OS without any output.

I installed refind, I know it works but it's not getting past black screen
I installed clover, which magically turns initializes GOP on the GPU so I can see something, but I can't get past clover menu, meaning any option chosen isn't working ...

So... how am I suppose to boot anything EFI-based on the MP?

Please, don't tell me to grab some other GPU. I don't have any other GPU, and even if I had - I don't care about it, I care about what I'm asking above

You successfully get boot screen via cover?

That’s quite a few of us want to do, can you share the detail steps / setting for us? I tried that on an AMD card before, doesn’t work. I am more than happy to try that again with my 1080Ti.

Anyway, you don’t need both screen to install Windows / Linux, their installer can initialise the GPU properly.

In my own experience. The easiest way is via DVD. Burn a disc, hold C during boot, than you can 100% the cMP is boot from the disc just because of the noise. If the screen stay black, may be hit Enter once to proceed to the next screen usually will show you something.

Many members here install Windows in EFI mode with just a PC GPU, no problem at all. Despite I have Mac EFI cards on Hand, I tried that as well. It works.

inoperable

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2017
Hi,

Partially, I fumble with the mbr bootsectors method now, I'll update the post here.
Thing is, I burned like 5 different ISO's with Win 10 x64, x32, Win 8, Win 7 and neither of them
goes past holding C key. Nothing. The GPU works with macOS though... o_O

I re-checked the DVD's on my iMac (with the very same DVD Drive that I got connected to the MP)
and nothing happens, when I disconnect all of drives and leave only the DVD drive, it does reads the
DVD and then shuts down after a while or just stands there with wtf-ever is on the screen...

I also installed Win 10 on the iMac natively on 1 drive, 1 windows partition (well actually there are 4, win recover, efi, boot, and the system ntfs), put the drive back into MP and still I can't see s**t.

Btw. its **clover**, like the leafs, not cover ;-), i'm trying now a customized Clover config so it does
not patch anything and try to inject the nvidia .rom from an EFI card and see if that might work since
there is an option within clover to do so - you can basically (if I understand it correctly) point to a .rom
file and it will inject that .rom before booting, however I don't know if that part is only macOS specific,
since that what clover is for in the first place. Will see.

I'm slowly running out of ideas on what to do- but I know it hast to work but I hadn't figured it out what
is going on with that MP but I had some partial success with clover and now I must figure on how to move
from there because otherwise my inner balance will suffer ;-)
[doublepost=1510763573][/doublepost]next thing I'll try is to make Win10 go into auto-login and install VNC and dunno, add some startup tune or whatever so I can be sure that the **headless* Win10 is actually there.

I managed load into Manjaro ONCE but I don't recall on how... was tired and wasn't paying attention, but I think it was simple as refind laoded manjaro and LightDM started with NVIDIA drivers that seem work both for GTX 760 and iMac (useless) GT 755M - so I was greeted with the Manjaro login screen.

I start to hate Apple for their EFI (un)implementation...
[doublepost=1510763756][/doublepost]As to your clover question - yet, I was able to see the boot menu and navigate it in text mode with customised config, installing clover on the same hard drive as the windows drive and choosing mbr installation (instead of UEFI) so when I choose to boot from Windows within macOS I actually booted clover instead.

inoperable

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2017
Update:

Below the Clover screenshort (hit F10) while in bootscreen, then check EFI/EFI/CLOVER/misc directory. I was able to boot Clover by selecting Windows in macOS through "Startup Disk", the app doesn't see or better said, won't see any USB based Windows installations, It does see the DVD though. The "Windows" option I used was a installation I did previously on another machine and smartly thought that it will work when I put it back into the MP, well it didn't but at least I can select it with "Startup Disk" ... well, let's call it a winner. I put the drive into BAY 2, restarted and the Bastard Bios greeted me with "No Bootable Device -- ..." blabla message.

I turned off the MP, disconnected the SATA drive in BAY 2, inserted a USB Windows installer with Clover, and started - TADA - I can see clover now. I not sure if it loads through the MBR or EFI loader, but since its the Bastard Bios mode - I assume it loads through MBR since the "No Bootable Device" normally comes up when you try to boot through MBR. Does this make sense or am I missing something? Let me know your thoughts.

Other findings:
BIOS Legacy mode:
I really in wonder to the lengths Apple went to implement this into the Firmware and the reason behind it, but this "Bios" emulation or whatever it is do some odd things before booting.

- BAY 4 and 3 SATA ports are disabled (why?)
- Front panel USB ports are being disabled (my USB led on sticks simply went off when bastard-bios loads)
- Back

Clover:
Bios legacy is some kind of bastard emulation launched by firmware, when you do select to restart into windows from macOS. I don't know how the boot process looks like, but once CLOVER loader is in your MBR on the same drive as the
WINDOWS installation EFI partition you will be able to see CLOVER. For the sake of difference between real BIOS and Emulation layer, lets call it Bastard-Bios from now on, or BB for short.

MB Pro 3.1 implements UGA EFI 1.1 instead of GOP (how nice of Apple to stick to UEFI spec) and so does the Bastard-Bios which is EFI (since Clover says so in about screen).

Clover must be supporting UGA, otherwise I won't be able to see s**t in BB
FreeBSD efi loader confirms this when loaded by BB: if you choose

latest FreeBSD 12.0 -CURRENT- memstick image put onto USB with DD boots into this mode. Don't ask me why, once I got Clover to boot I simply went through my pile of USB sticks with all kind of OSes (never enough of them) and then I remembered that FreeBSD EFI Loader is quite smart and supports bot, UGA and GOP.

After loading FreeBSD EFI Loader, you can choose a command prompt, there you have 2 interesting commands: "uga" and "gop", gop tells me it isn't supported and uga spills some information about current framebuffer (640x480)

Questions: can someone pin point me to Apple's Firmware docs/hacks? Does anyone knows how the BB load process works? What file is being loaded by the firmware? Is it as simple as some boot.efi that Bootcamp stitches together? How does the Firmware from MP 4.1 or 5.1 or 6.1 differ? Is it also EFI 1.1 or 2.0? Does anyone knows how to take a close look into the Firmware? How to dump/read it?
[doublepost=1510835752][/doublepost]Windows Franken-USB with Clover looks like this

screen-shot-2017-11-16-at-13-22-15-png.736148

I attached my WIP config.plist, to be sure that it might work you need to 1:1 copy your SMCBios data, otherwise Clover will fill it for you and you will have a franken-mac iMac with Xeon processors ;-)
[doublepost=1510836503][/doublepost]Amendment

Forgot the clover config.plist (I'm still to stupid for the forum editor yet), so find it attached here,

FreeBSD efi loader crashes when it tries to boot the kernel- with some message I need to debug first because it just flashes by and then I see some garbled boxes. My assumption is that BB is crashing it.

Attachments

• screenshot2.png
    screenshot2.png
    371.3 KB · Views: 273
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 13.22.15.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 13.22.15.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 2,235
  • config.plist.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:

Dasboot5

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
SACRAMENTO
Update:

Below the Clover screenshort (hit F10) while in bootscreen, then check EFI/EFI/CLOVER/misc directory. I was able to boot Clover by selecting Windows in macOS through "Startup Disk", the app doesn't see or better said, won't see any USB based Windows installations, It does see the DVD though. The "Windows" option I used was a installation I did previously on another machine and smartly thought that it will work when I put it back into the MP, well it didn't but at least I can select it with "Startup Disk" ... well, let's call it a winner. I put the drive into BAY 2, restarted and the Bastard Bios greeted me with "No Bootable Device -- ..." blabla message.

I turned off the MP, disconnected the SATA drive in BAY 2, inserted a USB Windows installer with Clover, and started - TADA - I can see clover now. I not sure if it loads through the MBR or EFI loader, but since its the Bastard Bios mode - I assume it loads through MBR since the "No Bootable Device" normally comes up when you try to boot through MBR. Does this make sense or am I missing something? Let me know your thoughts.

Other findings:
BIOS Legacy mode:
I really in wonder to the lengths Apple went to implement this into the Firmware and the reason behind it, but this "Bios" emulation or whatever it is do some odd things before booting.

- Front panel USB ports are being disabled (my USB led on sticks simply went off when bastard-bios loads)
- Back

Clover:
Bios legacy is some kind of bastard emulation launched by firmware, when you do select to restart into windows from macOS. I don't know how the boot process looks like, but once CLOVER loader is in your MBR on the same drive as the
WINDOWS installation EFI partition you will be able to see CLOVER. For the sake of difference between real BIOS and Emulation layer, lets call it Bastard-Bios from now on, or BB for short.

MB Pro 3.1 implements UGA EFI 1.1 instead of GOP (how nice of Apple to stick to UEFI spec) and so does the Bastard-Bios which is EFI (since Clover says so in about screen).

latest FreeBSD 12.0 -CURRENT- memstick image put onto USB with DD boots into this mode. Don't ask me why, once I got Clover to boot I simply went through my pile of USB sticks with all kind of OSes (never enough of them) and then I remembered that FreeBSD EFI Loader is quite smart and supports bot, UGA and GOP.

After loading FreeBSD EFI Loader, you can choose a command prompt, there you have 2 interesting commands: "uga" and "gop", gop tells me it isn't supported and uga spills some information about current framebuffer (640x480)

Questions: can someone pin point me to Apple's Firmware docs/hacks? Does anyone knows how the BB load process works? What file is being loaded by the firmware? Is it as simple as some boot.efi that Bootcamp stitches together? How does the Firmware from MP 4.1 or 5.1 or 6.1 differ? Is it also EFI 1.1 or 2.0? Does anyone knows how to take a close look into the Firmware? How to dump/read it?
[doublepost=1510835752][/doublepost]Windows Franken-USB with Clover looks like this

I attached my WIP config.plist, to be sure that it might work you need to 1:1 copy your SMCBios data, otherwise Clover will fill it for you and you will have a franken-mac iMac with Xeon processors ;-)

Forgot the clover config.plist (I'm still to stupid for the forum editor yet), so find it attached here,

FreeBSD efi loader crashes when it tries to boot the kernel- with some message I need to debug first because it just flashes by and then I see some garbled boxes. My assumption is that BB is crashing it.

Clover is really designed for X86 boards that are not the proprietary Mac boards in a real macwith their locked out firmware boot roms. It will boot UEFI and this is the preferred method. Even if you get it to work you risk problems. You should research the sites and wiki for how Clover is to be used and set, and what Bios settings are need to boot the Mac OS on an X86 board, so you can understand how it works, and why it is a not good idea to use it on Real Mac. It is known fact that there is a AMD GPU firmware bug that effects the boot screen. This is not present on Nvidia cards, although there is no Nvidia web driver for Mohave as of 11/8/2018, and it may be some time before it is released, if ever, as Apple is now pushing AMD, and there is even talk that AMD will be on Intel APU's in the future: https://www.pcworld.com/article/323...md-ship-a-core-chip-with-radeon-graphics.html

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Update:

Other findings:
BIOS Legacy mode:

- Back

Clover:

Clover has a lot of options and you can enable debugging and then attach the log file so we can analyze. :
Debug
Formerly known as "Log" before revision 3064

<key>Debug</key>
<false/>
If you are unable to boot into the Clover you can use this setting to produces a debug output to /EFI/CLOVER/misc/debug.log. This log then can be assessed to find out what the problem is. !WARNING turning on this log will dramatically increase loading time as it has to write the log to the disk as it goes. So please be patient and give plenty of time before reseting your computer.

Also please attach the EFI folder so we can review what is inside. BTW you are brave people trying Clover on Mac :)
I have the Matt card installed so if anything happens to my boot ROM I can always reflash it.
[doublepost=1541701092][/doublepost]Here is a good example:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ebuffers-for-high-sierra-using-clover.235409/
Not everything applies to Mac only certain portions, but it is a good starting point

Reactions: theoamoretti

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Clover has a lot of options and you can enable debugging and then attach the log file so we can analyze. :
Debug
Formerly known as "Log" before revision 3064

<key>Debug</key>
<false/>
If you are unable to boot into the Clover you can use this setting to produces a debug output to /EFI/CLOVER/misc/debug.log. This log then can be assessed to find out what the problem is. !WARNING turning on this log will dramatically increase loading time as it has to write the log to the disk as it goes. So please be patient and give plenty of time before reseting your computer.

Also please attach the EFI folder so we can review what is inside. BTW you are brave people trying Clover on Mac :)
I have the Matt card installed so if anything happens to my boot ROM I can always reflash it.
[doublepost=1541701092][/doublepost]Here is a good example:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ebuffers-for-high-sierra-using-clover.235409/
Not everything applies to Mac only certain portions, but it is a good starting point

Not sure what you are planing on testing, Clover in Legacy( BIOS/CSM ) mode on the Mac Pro works just fine, once you get the installer to install the first stage boot loader to the MBR of a disk. This can be hit or miss, and I don't know what the trouble is, I haven't found a sure fire way of doing it.

Then you just bless the MBR disk for legacy booting.

Only thing I noticed that didn't really work, booting the macOS from Clover Legacy, was the Startup Disk was unable to be changed.

As far as GOP Boot Screens, it works on the MP3,1, but not 5,1's or 4,1 with the 5,1 firmware, no reports of anyone trying with a 4,1 firmware.

For Clover, what is required is the EmuGOPDxe.efi driver from nextloader. Maybe activating Clover's debug feature will give us some info on why we are not getting any modes for displays connected to GOP cards in the 5,1?

Reactions: Petri Krohn

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Not sure what you are planing on testing, Clover in Legacy( BIOS/CSM ) mode on the Mac Pro works just fine, once you get the installer to install the first stage boot loader to the MBR of a disk. This can be hit or miss, and I don't know what the trouble is, I haven't found a sure fire way of doing it.

Then you just bless the MBR disk for legacy booting.

Only thing I noticed that didn't really work, booting the macOS from Clover Legacy, was the Startup Disk was unable to be changed.

As far as GOP Boot Screens, it works on the MP3,1, but not 5,1's or 4,1 with the 5,1 firmware, no reports of anyone trying with a 4,1 firmware.

For Clover, what is required is the EmuGOPDxe.efi driver from nextloader. Maybe activating Clover's debug feature will give us some info on why we are not getting any modes for displays connected to GOP cards in the 5,1?

I was also thinking that we have to inject all the relevant properties from the IOREG normal boot (DarwinDump is great in this respect). The problem is once you boot Clover especially legacy mode it totally skips the normal MAC I/O hook so in Clover the mimic of the real mac should be exact including the s/n's, build dates, EHCI IOREG hooks etc. But the debug is a must in this case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.