Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Of all the butt-stupid ways that Apple forces you to use their own subpar ways to get things done, this has to be far and above the most idiotic, braindead, not-thought-through aspect of the entire ecosystem:

I’m on a family plan and I cannot purchase things through the App Store. It requires me to verify the credit card information of the family organizer.

All I want to do is use my own ****ING CARD to make my own ****ING PURCHASE. I am a ****ING ADULT.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Of all the butt-stupid ways that Apple forces you to use their own subpar ways to get things done, this has to be far and above the most idiotic, braindead, not-thought-through aspect of the entire ecosystem:

I’m on a family plan and I cannot purchase things through the App Store. It requires me to verify the credit card information of the family organizer.

All I want to do is use my own ****ING CARD to make my own ****ING PURCHASE. I am a ****ING ADULT.
I don't understand............Are you the family organizer? Is the credit card account associated with the plan your card?

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
"I am not the family organizer and it is not my card."
Then it seems only reasonable that you were refused the sale.
You may be on the plan, but it's not your account. :rolleyes:
Then why would Apple be telling me that I’m attempting to make the purchase with MY account and ask me for MY password?

There is no apologizing for Apple’s asinine blunder on this one. Could possibly be the dumbest system they’ve ever come up with.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I feel your pain. I’m the family organizer and I got screwed by a family member buying $45 worth of blocks for an in-app purchase. After that I immediately took them off family plan.
This is why the check is in place. Kids aren’t the only ones that need help at times with spending too much. I’m happy this block is in place.

OP - just get an Apple Gift Card and load up your balance. That is what my family members do.

If they ever hit my credit card with a transaction, I have told them they are paying me back same day.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
This is why the check is in place. Kids aren’t the only ones that need help at times with spending too much. I’m happy this block is in place.

OP - just get an Apple Gift Card and load up your balance. That is what my family members do.

If they ever hit my credit card with a transaction, I have told them they are paying me back same day.
I am 30 years old, I am more than capable of making my own payment decisions and should have that right to use my own money.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
I am 30 years old, I am more than capable of making my own payment decisions and should have that right to use my own money.
Is that what the customer agreement on the account says if you're not the originator or "organizer" that established the account?
And, by the way, it's not your "own money".
That would be cash.
You are requesting credit.
There's a difference.
Sounds like maybe you should give it a rest and relax a bit. 👀

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Then why would Apple be telling me that I’m attempting to make the purchase with MY account and ask me for MY password?
This is for attributing the purchase to the correct Apple ID. That way if / when you leave the Family group you take your purchases with you, rather than losing them to the organizer.

This seems like the answer to the question in the thread title:
OP - just get an Apple Gift Card and load up your balance.

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
I am not the family organizer and it is not my card. The family organizer is unreachable at the moment.
The only thing I can contribute in the hope that you eventually realise it is

duh.

On a related note: You know, Apple certainly has its work cut out. It has been the TechKaren's choice for decades for a good reason - it's traditionally excelled at (dominated, even) appealing to a demographic whose egos are too strong for them to even recognise the fact that they know next to nothing about what they're using but think they're experts at it, but at the same time if anything goes wrong precisely for that reason Apple gets dunked on by the same demographic.
I certainly wouldn't want to be in their shoes lol - it'll be like working in retail

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023

Get out of the family plan and make your own account?

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
I really understand the thread starter's problem!
It's not about the account. It's about Apple's decision to now allow adult family members to use their own credit card.

Me and my wife both have our own Apple IDs since forever. Lately, I have been upgrading my iCloud Storage to 2TB so we decided that she is canceling her 50GB plan and I'll add her in a newly created 'family' to share the 2TB and a couple of Apps, I bought some time ago.
Now she is not able to use her credit card for new tranactions, althou she's been using it for ages in her account. Every once in a while, when she is buying some in-App-suff for her games, it is charged off my credit card as I am the familiy organizer!
And that is just stupid! Why not let adult members of a familiy use their own credit card AND let them used shared storage? For child members that is a totally different story and absolutely OK the way it works. But for adults with a credit card active in their accounts?!?
That really IS stupid, I totally agree here!

RuRu971

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2024

Sound like making a phone call after you found a phone cabin .Old fashioned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.