Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Highway61

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
I have appreciated all of the threads/posts about less expensive alternatives to the ASD. Those discussions, though, seem to focus mainly on the visual specs/experience.
If one doesn't want to buy speakers, however, is there a less expensive ASD alternative that offers, not just comparable-to-the-ASD visual specs/experience, but also comparable audio?

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I don't think so. The ASD has astonishingly good audio compared to its competition. With everything else, the calculus is pretty much that you either don't care about great audio or you buy external speakers.

Reactions: Highway61

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have appreciated all of the threads/posts about less expensive alternatives to the ASD. Those discussions, though, seem to focus mainly on the visual specs/experience.
If one doesn't want to buy speakers, however, is there a less expensive ASD alternative that offers, not just comparable-to-the-ASD visual specs/experience, but also comparable audio?
Reportedly, the speakers on the Samsung 5K are crap. But I've never used/seen one, so I can't comment from personal experience.

I have two ASDs on my MBP and they've been rock solid. They look great and for built-in speakers, they sound pretty good. I do have bigger bookshelf-style desktop speakers, so I have options available to me.... I tend to use the ASD speakers for FaceTime, YouTube and system sounds, and the desktop speakers for music.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
We use a lot of different monitors and nothing has come close to the quality of the ASD ones. That said, a decent set of external speakers will always be the way to do, although I think unless you're doing audio work and/or really want very good quality sound, the ASD built-in ones will be good enough.

There's a few sets of external speakers which are frequently recommended here, and are sub-£200, but I've tried some of those and without a subwoofer, I'd be tempted to stick with the ASDs.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
For my use cases I found the ASD speakers lacking. I regularly use my Mac to play podcasts while I work out. The ASD speakers were okay, but just okay. I popped for a set of compact desktop speakers and a sub.

If all you want to do is FT, system alerts and the occasional YT vid the ASD will *probably* be fine. And I highly doubt any other monitor will beat the ASD on audio.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
For my use cases I found the ASD speakers lacking. I regularly use my Mac to play podcasts while I work out. The ASD speakers were okay, but just okay. I popped for a set of compact desktop speakers and a sub.

If all you want to do is FT, system alerts and the occasional YT vid the ASD will *probably* be fine. And I highly doubt any other monitor will beat the ASD on audio.
Which speakers did you buy?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.