Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bianconeri1899

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2023
Hi All,
I’ve recently got a 2006 1,1 MacBook Pro and am wondering if it’s saleable.
Battery and internals seems to have either dried up paint or heaps of corrosion. Logic board has dried up powdery substance inside.
Can someone let me know if I can possibly fix it?
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2058.jpeg
    IMG_2058.jpeg
    698.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2057.jpeg
    IMG_2057.jpeg
    643.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2059.jpeg
    IMG_2059.jpeg
    651.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2060.jpeg
    IMG_2060.jpeg
    520.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2035.jpeg
    IMG_2035.jpeg
    491 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2037.jpeg
    IMG_2037.jpeg
    510.9 KB · Views: 53

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Hi All,
I’ve recently got a 2006 1,1 MacBook Pro and am wondering if it’s saleable.

How much would you be aiming for?

Battery and internals seems to have either dried up paint or heaps of corrosion. Logic board has dried up powdery substance inside.

You could try cleaning up the logic board with isopropyl alcohol but if it's heavily corroded then it might be too late. Worth a try though if you've got some on hand.

Can someone let me know if I can possibly fix it?
Cheers

Possibly? Yes but you have to ask yourself whether it would be cost effective. I have a soft spot for the MBP 1,1 because it was my first Intel Mac and I had a great time using it but the subsequent models are so much better. Unless you're going to sell it for a low price - which wouldn't be cost effective given that you'll need to replace the battery (the LCD too, it seems) and maybe obtain RAM and a SSD/HDD - perhaps even a new logic board too, it's not an attractive purchase when the Core 2 Duo equipped MBP 2,1 and above can be easily found cheaply on the 2nd hand market.

It might be fun as a personal restoration project but I doubt that you'll see a decent profit in terms of resale.

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
My first thought was “ultrasonic cleaner” after seeing those pics. If it was still dead after that I’d recycle it or pass it on to someone who wanted it for parts. I’d bet there’s some good parts that could be scavenged.

Any idea how it got that way? Looks like it got dropped in the lobster tank lol :)

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I'm pretty much with @Certificate of Excellence and @TheShortTimer on this. However, what I would add is that it looks to me like the motherboard's suffered extensive water damage (in my own experience, the white residue and what looks like liquid staining on the underside of the top case are what's leading me to that conclusion). Perhaps the box or space where the laptop was stored in was subjected to water leakage.

Unless the machine boots and works normally, I don't think it's worth repairing or even cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, unless you don't mind expending the time and energy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.