Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
On my iPhone X while playing most games, when the brightness is bellow the sun icon on the control renter slider, most games will randomly drop the the framerate from 60 to 30. This doesn't happen at all when I put the brightness up to max. What could be the issue here?

Reactions: Andreas00

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
hi

i do not think that the screen brightness affects frame rate.

however, on the other hand, if the iPhone is in Low Power mode the frame rate is adjusted downward.

PatrikCoC

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2016
Hey!

I absolutely have this, on my XS Max, and had it with my X as well. I experienced it with Clash Royale app - when you put brightness to a very low level, game will start to stutter, as soon as you increase it, it will be smooth again. Note: You can make the game smooth when you start screen recording. Google Maps does the same stuff. By the way, could you list some games you experienced this issue with?

Reactions: Andreas00

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
Hey!

I absolutely have this, on my XS Max, and had it with my X as well. I experienced it with Clash Royale app - when you put brightness to a very low level, game will start to stutter, as soon as you increase it, it will be smooth again. Note: You can make the game smooth when you start screen recording. Google Maps does the same stuff. By the way, could you list some games you experienced this issue with?

Yes thats the same with mine,

It does it in Super Mario Run, INKS, Steppy pants, BADLAND 2, Zip Zap pretty much most 60 fps iPhone X optimized games. When you record the screen everything runs at 60fps no drops, its such an odd bug I had since a year ago. I went to the Apple store when I first noticed it and they said its likely a software issue that will be fixed in iOS 12. It hasn't been fixed and its quite odd that even the XS is having this issue.

Andreas00

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2015
Yes! I recently noticed this today as well on my xs max. Its on google maps and phoenix 2. The phone seems to get lower perfomance when lowering the brightness. And seems to be an ios thing as far i can tell. Report it as a bug to apple.

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
Yes! I recently noticed this today as well on my xs max. Its on google maps and phoenix 2. The phone seems to get lower perfomance when lowering the brightness. And seems to be an ios thing as far i can tell. Report it as a bug to apple.
Ive reported it multiple times, hopefully more of you can do the same to get apple attention

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.