Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
Hey there! I have this offer and would like to know your opinion on whether this is a good deal, and if I should grab it considering the high price I'm paying for this.

The below 2016 Macbook Pro 13" was for sale for $2,400. I negotiated it down to $2,000.

Color: Space gray
Resolution: 2560x 1600
Specifications:
3.3 GHz Intel Core i 7 CPU
16 GB Ram
512 GB SSD
Four thunderbolt 3 ports
Intel Iris Graphics 550mb
----------------
Used for less than a week, comes with original box, usb-c cord and power adapter, manual.
Bought from US in beginning of May for $2,600 in Apple store. No scratches, marks, or dents on the computer. Perfect condition.
----------------
Considering the fact that the maxed out 2017 model shipped to where I live will cost me around $2,800, is this a good deal?

On the other hand, I can get a brand new 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, 8GB, 512GB - Space Grey 2016 model for the same price ($2,000)

I do not know If I will need the extra power for video editing, BUT I am wondering whether the extra power will ensure more longevity, meaning using this MB pro for longer....

Any input is highly appreciated!

Last edited:

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
You're essentially looking at the 2017 option with a 15% faster CPU and slightly faster graphics versus the previous version with twice the amount of RAM. I'd say the RAM is more important seeing these numbers, but getting the newer one without the maxed out CPU (the standard CPU will still be faster than the old maxed out one) but with 16 GB of RAM might also be an option, depending whether the small performance boost in the Kaby Lake chip is worth extra money to you.

Reactions: Sebastian79

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
You're essentially looking at the 2017 option with a 15% faster CPU and slightly faster graphics versus the previous version with twice the amount of RAM. I'd say the RAM is more important seeing these numbers, but getting the newer one without the maxed out CPU (the standard CPU will still be faster than the old maxed out one) but with 16 GB of RAM might also be an option, depending whether the small performance boost in the Kaby Lake chip is worth extra money to you.
Thank you for the reply. So if you were me, you'd prefer to get a new (not used) 2017 regular model than a used 2016 maxed out model. right?

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Thank you for the reply. So if you were me, you'd prefer to get a new (not used) 2017 regular model than a used 2016 maxed out model. right?

What will you use the MacBook for? I'm in a similar situation, and to me, currently a 15% increase in CPU power is more valuable than a 10% increase in price. However, if you're not into heavy photo or video editing, programming or some other type of professional heavy duty use, you probably will not notice the additional CPU power at all, and would be better off saving a couple hundred bucks by getting the old model. 16 GB of RAM would increase the useful lifespan far more than 15% more CPU power in any case.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
What will you use the MacBook for? I'm in a similar situation, and to me, currently a 15% increase in CPU power is more valuable than a 10% increase in price. However, if you're not into heavy photo or video editing, programming or some other type of professional heavy duty use, you probably will not notice the additional CPU power at all, and would be better off saving a couple hundred bucks by getting the old model. 16 GB of RAM would increase the useful lifespan far more than 15% more CPU power in any case.
I do some video editing, but nothing heavy like 4K. What you said about the 16GB of RAM increasing the lifespan makes a lot of sense. The only thing I'm concerned about is the fact that it is not "sealed" new, although only used for a week (as claimed by the person selling it). Do you know how I can make sure it has no defects? And one more thing, I heard the 2017 models come with an improved keyboard.Is that true?

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
I do some video editing, but nothing heavy like 4K. What you said about the 16GB of RAM increasing the lifespan makes a lot of sense. The only thing I'm concerned about is the fact that it is not "sealed" new, although only used for a week (as claimed by the person selling it). Do you know how I can make sure it has no defects? And one more thing, I heard the 2017 models come with an improved keyboard.Is that true?

The MacBook Pro uses the same keyboard as the 2016 model, only the 12" MacBook got an upgrade (to the 2016 MBP keyboard design).

Download coconut battery and look at the battery load cycles. If it has actually been used only one week, it should be below 10 load cycles. Also, check how much warranty is left -- should any defects occur, Apple will take care of it under warranty anyway.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
The MacBook Pro uses the same keyboard as the 2016 model, only the 12" MacBook got an upgrade (to the 2016 MBP keyboard design).

Download coconut battery and look at the battery load cycles. If it has actually been used only one week, it should be below 10 load cycles. Also, check how much warranty is left -- should any defects occur, Apple will take care of it under warranty anyway.
Awesome! Thanks a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.