Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EchoSierra

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Boston, MA
I have a 4TB SATA SSD. If I had initially formatted it with a SATA to USB interface before putting it into my old Mac running 10.11.6 via SATA (this is a secondary drive bay, not as a boot disk), it will say that "this disk is not readable by this computer" and my options are to either Initialize, Ignore, or Eject. Initialize would format it, which I don't want, and Ignore and Eject both do the same thing; nothing, since the drive didn't mount in the first place. If I had initially formatted it while it's plugged into the SATA bay, it would generate the same issue if I take it out, and plug it into another Mac with the SATA to USB cable.

Is this a mounting point issue with the USB to SATA cable? My boot disk is mounted to /, but the secondary SSD is mounted to /Volumes/4TB Storage
(4TB Storage is the name of the volume)

I want to be able to take this disk out and plug it into my Macbook Pro sometimes (but otherwise leave it in the older Mac to have the faster SATA interface). Is there a Terminal command to fix the mount point so that it will mount to another Mac (running Catalina) with the USB to SATA cable?

If it's not a mounting point issue, what could it be? The SSD is formatted as HFS+ (Mac OS X Extended) and the partition map is GUID Partition Map.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.