Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techGrid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2014
So I just got a 14" MBP and I will be using it in classrooms with young children, as well as transporting it back and forth from home, so I need a good sturdy shell. I train the students not to touch my computer, but it inevitably happens. I really liked the look of this Spigen Rugged Armor Pro hardshell and sleeve case, since you can use it while leaving it inside the case, and that seems like it would be a good barrier between curious fingers and the laptop for when I'll be streaming videos during class. It's the ONLY one I've found that you can use while the case is still on. I'm also a pretty clumsy person so I'm looking for heavy duty protection here!

A few reviews say this particular case is a bit of a loose fit for the MBP 14, so I dunno if that's a good thing or not. I had already bought a padded sleeve and was going to get one of those simple plastic hard shells, but I've read they can be problematic. And some cases can damage the hinges so I want to be sure.

I'm thinking if I get this little Spigen number I wouldn't need anything else, since it has both a soft and and a hard outer layer. Seems like I could slip it into a Messenger bag and it would be pretty protected.

I'm interested in your feedback and/or recommendations! Thanks in advance.

halledise

macrumors 68000
if you can source a 14” ‘spigen’ that’d be better methinks.
it looks from the ad to be a great product.
this is the range available here in Aus …
Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 08.52.20.png

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
So I just got a 14" MBP and I will be using it in classrooms with young children, as well as transporting it back and forth from home, so I need a good sturdy shell. I train the students not to touch my computer, but it inevitably happens. I really liked the look of this Spigen Rugged Armor Pro hardshell and sleeve case, since you can use it while leaving it inside the case, and that seems like it would be a good barrier between curious fingers and the laptop for when I'll be streaming videos during class. It's the ONLY one I've found that you can use while the case is still on. I'm also a pretty clumsy person so I'm looking for heavy duty protection here!

A few reviews say this particular case is a bit of a loose fit for the MBP 14, so I dunno if that's a good thing or not. I had already bought a padded sleeve and was going to get one of those simple plastic hard shells, but I've read they can be problematic. And some cases can damage the hinges so I want to be sure.

I'm thinking if I get this little Spigen number I wouldn't need anything else, since it has both a soft and and a hard outer layer. Seems like I could slip it into a Messenger bag and it would be pretty protected.

I'm interested in your feedback and/or recommendations! Thanks in advance.

I just use a hardshell on my 14" Pro. Since I always travel with my MBP in a laptop bag, I really didn't need another sleeve and/or bag. I have used hardshells from Incase in the past, but I just picked up this one from Amazon as my prior hardshell had started to crack. I have been using the hardshells since before Apple stopped lighting up the Apple logo on the laptop lids, and haven't had any issues which could have been attributed to the shells.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.