Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaben3421

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2011
CA
So today I booted into an external HDD to run a Tech Tool Pro 6 scan on my computer as I do about once a month. When it got to the SMART scan, it showed that "Spin Up Retry Count" was close to failing

Tech%20Tool%20Pic.jpg

Is this something to be concerned about? It is the stock HDD that came with my MacBook in 2009 and I was thinking about replacing it with a SSD. Should I do so, or is this drive safe to continue using? Thanks for any help in advance.

Last edited:

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
So today I booted into an external HDD to run a Tech Tool Pro 6 scan on my computer as I do about once a month. When it got to the SMART scan, it showed that "Spin Up Retry Count" was close to failing

Is this something to be concerned about? It is the stock HDD that came with my MacBook in 2009 and I was thinking about replacing it with a SSD. Should I do so, or is this drive safe to continue using? Thanks for any help in advance.

Well I'm not really sure about that spec, but you can get a 250 gig SSD for 120 bucks these days. There's really no reason not to.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Your HDD will fail either at startup or waking up. Not good odds. Replace it.

Options: Seagate 500GB Hybrid for $84.99. Back when they were selling the 7200 RPM Hybrid I got it for $49.99 when discounted.

Personally I'd wait until a big discount comes in on Newegg for an SSD (Join their email newsletter). I did just get an email that a discount is coming. If you want to replace what you have with a similar size SSD you are looking somewhere between $160 and $190.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That hard drive could last you another 5-10 years before failing. SMART isn't always accurate and isn't always trustworthy. I've had hard drives with the spin up retry in the "failing" count before and they keep going without a problem.

Jaben3421

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2011
CA
Thanks for all your replies to my concern. I think I'll just keep using the HDD and run SMART tests on it to make sure it doing well. From what else I've read, It's okay to keep using, and I'll probably get a new computer for school in a few months anyways.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Thanks for all your replies to my concern. I think I'll just keep using the HDD and run SMART tests on it to make sure it doing well. From what else I've read, It's okay to keep using, and I'll probably get a new computer for school in a few months anyways.

That would have been good info to give. Then again if I was buying that machine and ran the test and found out that result I wouldn't be too happy with you.

Does your late 2009 machine not meet your needs? Is it graphics, CPU, or just snappiness in general. An SSD may give you an extra year or two of time if the graphics or CPU are not the limiting factor. (I'm on the base 2GHz Aluminum MB and graphics is the limiting factor on some games. I can get through it but only on low settings. CPU seems fine. I only have a hybrid drive on mine not full SSD).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.