Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaia4-2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2022
Hi,

I sometimes saw this kind of crashed images or desktop background(?) when I open some apps or preview (seeing images by pressing space bar).

is this kind a gpu problem?

macOS Monterey 12.4
My MBP is basic 16" 2019 model.

thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 5.34.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 5-1.48.29 PM.png

updates...

For the glitch (Red box & Black box) of quick look / preview, I figured out and I am not sure why it works...
I set some 'system preferences' same as who has no issues with it.

in Accessibility / Display setting.
- uncheck all

in Trackpad setting
- uncheck 'Look up & Data detector' (point&click)
- uncheck 'smart zoom' and 'Rotate' (Scroll&Zoom)
- uncheck 'Notification Center' and 'App Expose' (More)

Last edited:

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
yes. Format and reinstall. GPU drivers are not properly detected. Might be also a sign of hardware failure, but lets hope that not.

Reactions: gaia4-2

Mer1In

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2019
I actually have a 2019 16" MBP. While I have never seen this take place, you might also want to reinstall the macOS Monterey by the internet.

Option-command-R, I believe.

Hope this helps.

jyyz

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Oh wow, I had this exact problem with the 16" MBP - I had the higher spec'ed 2.4GHz i9 with 32GB RAM and the 8GB 5500. Multiple reformats and reinstalls, and the problem continued to recur. Eventually, Apple took the MBP in for a week to conduct testing, they returned it back reporting everything seemed fine. Of course, the issue recurred as soon as I got the thing home. Fast forward some, and Apple eventually decided to replace the laptop. The replacement demonstrated the SAME ISSUE, albeit less often and less severe. In the end, I decided to trade it in for an M1 Max. (As an aside the first M1 Max died after a month of use :D you can't make this stuff up...) Good luck, and I hope you get it sorted out.

Attachments

• IMG_6674.jpg
    IMG_6674.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.13.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.13.52 AM.png
    372.1 KB · Views: 113

gaia4-2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2022
I actually have a 2019 16" MBP. While I have never seen this take place, you might also want to reinstall the macOS Monterey by the internet.

Option-command-R, I believe.

Hope this helps.
thanks!
I reinstalled the OS by 'erase all content and setting' but it is still happening!
I will try internet reinstall... hopefully it works

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
thanks!
I reinstalled the OS by 'erase all content and setting' but it is still happening!
I will try internet reinstall... hopefully it works
Does this happen when you move the window, or does it happen when the window opens? If you see this on the desktop, I would suspect GPU memory overheating. If it only happens in certain apps, and particularly only when you move the windows around, it could be a driver issue. Have you noticed if it only happens on the Intel GPU or the AMD GPU, does it happen on both?

gaia4-2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2022
Does this happen when you move the window, or does it happen when the window opens? If you see this on the desktop, I would suspect GPU memory overheating. If it only happens in certain apps, and particularly only when you move the windows around, it could be a driver issue. Have you noticed if it only happens on the Intel GPU or the AMD GPU, does it happen on both?

Hi,

thank you for your ideas.
The first picture I attached, the glitch happen when the window opens and I see that on that desktop.

I tested 'preview' thing with different gpu.
Intel GPU shows black box glitch(like 2nd picture I attached) and
AMD GPU shows red box glitch...both preview works fine after 3 sec.

what do I have to do for GPU memory overheating? Should I apply thermal paste or something?

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 1.30.25 PM.png

AMD gpu, preview test

gaia4-2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2022
Oh wow, I had this exact problem with the 16" MBP - I had the higher spec'ed 2.4GHz i9 with 32GB RAM and the 8GB 5500. Multiple reformats and reinstalls, and the problem continued to recur. Eventually, Apple took the MBP in for a week to conduct testing, they returned it back reporting everything seemed fine. Of course, the issue recurred as soon as I got the thing home. Fast forward some, and Apple eventually decided to replace the laptop. The replacement demonstrated the SAME ISSUE, albeit less often and less severe. In the end, I decided to trade it in for an M1 Max. (As an aside the first M1 Max died after a month of use :D you can't make this stuff up...) Good luck, and I hope you get it sorted out.
looks exactly same!!!! 🤣 thanks for all the information.
And yes... I think for us, reinstalling the OS does not fix the issues.

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
Hi,

thank you for your ideas.
The first picture I attached, the glitch happen when the window opens and I see that on that desktop.

I tested 'preview' thing with different gpu.
Intel GPU shows black box glitch(like 2nd picture I attached) and
AMD GPU shows red box glitch...both preview works fine after 3 sec.

what do I have to do for GPU memory overheating? Should I apply thermal paste or something?

View attachment 2021961
AMD gpu, preview test
Are you running a program to change your fan speeds? If so, turn that off and see if that helps with the issue. Did this just start happening recently, perhaps with a macOS update? If it did just start happening recently, send a bug report to Apple, and wait for the next patch, to see if it is resolved. If it has been happening since you purchased it, and you are out of warranty, a re-paste of the CPU/GPU and GPU Memory might help. Chances are if it was a sudden development, it was caused by the current GPU driver, and will need an update from Apple to solve. If it is a driver, you might be able to roll-back to the previous version of macOS (12.3 or even 11.6) and see if that works better for you. Doing that would be a lot of work though :-(.

gaia4-2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2022
updates...

For the glitch (Red box & Black box) of quick look / preview, I figured out and I am not sure why it works...
I set some 'system preferences' same as who has no issues with it.

in Accessibility / Display setting.
- uncheck all

in Trackpad setting
- uncheck 'Look up & Data detector' (point&click)
- uncheck 'smart zoom' and 'Rotate' (Scroll&Zoom)
- uncheck 'Notification Center' and 'App Expose' (More)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.