Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

murad_fourth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Hello.

I know that some iPhone users complain about their iPhone’s battery health dropping fast (99% or %98) in a few weeks or months.

But my complaint is different. I bought my iPhone 11 in October 2019 and my iPhone’s battery health is still 100% and that makes me think if it has a problem.

Why my iPhone’s battery health is not dropping to 99%? Is there a problem?

What do you think?

Please see the screenshots below and leave a comment.

Screenshot 1:

30557988-F35A-4351-9595-1311289B276F.jpeg

Screenshot 2:

75255003-45A3-4FFD-BEC2-F898EAEBC995.jpeg

Thank you.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
What is Coconut Battery? Is it a downloadable app in App Store? How can i use Coconut Battery to check my iPhone’s battery?
It's an app for the PC. I don't think there is an app that can run inside iOS and access battery health but maybe someone knows of one. I just checked mine and it's showing the full charge capacity is 3269 mAh vs spec is 3174 mAh. Maybe Apple is buying batteries that are over spec so they will last longer? IDK. Is there something about your battery that is making you worry? I mean if it's working I wouldn't worry about it too much.

murad_fourth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
It's an app for the PC. I don't think there is an app that can run inside iOS and access battery health but maybe someone knows of one. I just checked mine and it's showing the full charge capacity is 3269 mAh vs spec is 3174 mAh. Maybe Apple is buying batteries that are over spec so they will last longer? IDK. Is there something about your battery that is making you worry? I mean if it's working I wouldn't worry about it too much.
No. It works perfectly and this is the reason makes me worry about it. It should have already dropped to 99% or under until now, i think.

But if you think, it is perfectly normal, then it is fine for me.

May i ask, when did you buy your iPhone? Because your iPhone’s battery health is also 100%.

muhle

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2014
No. It works perfectly and this is the reason makes me worry about it. It should have already dropped to 99% or under until now, i think.

May i ask, when you did you buy your iPhone? Because your iPhone’s battery health is also 100%.
How come you have 2 years of warranty? Is that for U.S? or other countries?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA

May i ask, when did you buy your iPhone? Because your iPhone’s battery health is also 100%.
I got it in October of 2019. It was an AppleCare replacement for a phone that was shattered on front and back. I wouldn't worry too much about the battery. Unless you plan on keeping your phone for more than three years it's usually not a problem. Even then you can get it replaced cheaply by Apple

murad_fourth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
I got it in October of 2019. It was an AppleCare replacement for a phone that was shattered on front and back. I wouldn't worry too much about the battery. Unless you plan on keeping your phone for more than three years it's usually not a problem. Even then you can get it replaced cheaply by Apple
Actually i plan on upgrading my iPhone 11 to 5.4” iPhone 12 due to its dimensions. The dimensions of the iPhone 11 make it hard to use with one-hand.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hello.

I know that some iPhone users complain about their iPhone’s battery health dropping fast (99% or %98) in a few weeks or months.

But my complaint is different. I bought my iPhone 11 in October 2019 and my iPhone’s battery health is still 100% and that makes me think if it has a problem.

Why my iPhone’s battery health is not dropping to 99%? Is there a problem?

What do you think?

Please see the screenshots below and leave a comment.

Screenshot 1:

View attachment 918152

Screenshot 2:

View attachment 918153

Thank you.

Don’t you worry, it will drop soon enough, it may even drop by a few percentage points, you may wake up in a few days/weeks/months and it will be sitting at 99%-95%, you never know.

Remember this is an estimate and dependent on your usage, charging habits and battery temperature management so it will not be consistent all the time.

People need to stop focusing on this and just enjoy their phones, honestly.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
People get upset when it drops too fast, but wonder if something is wrong when it doesn’t drop. The battery health estimation serves little to no point. The funny thing is, it’s the first question asked in nearly ALL used phones on swappa. Most sellers post a pic showing the battery health screen, because it’s inevitable someone will ask. If I see 95% or higher, I don’t even question it. Buying a phone at 84% health is out of the question to me.

Reactions: Tsepz and akash.nu

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
None of my iPhones have ever gone to 99% other than my iPhone 6 which I kept for over 3 years. You’re perfectly fine.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
What is Coconut Battery? Is it a downloadable app in App Store? How can i use Coconut Battery to check my iPhone’s battery?

coconutBattery is a small third-party app, measuring battery health, that you can install on your Mac.

Have a look here:

murad_fourth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Oh my god. I don’t believe it. Today i checked again when i woke up and saw that it is now 99%. ?

How is that possible?

I am dying of laughing now. ?

Here is the screenshot:

818BC765-1AE9-4D1B-A32D-04F028B550C0.jpeg

Last night it was 100%.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
I use coconut battery app (I think you have to buy, not the free one, to get access to devices in addition to the Mac it runs on), and I am pretty sure it fluctuates some. I just checked, and note mine is showing a full charge capacity in excess of the design capacity of the phone.

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 8.39.58 AM.png

BuggyGT

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
Oh my god. I don’t believe it. Today i checked again when i woke up and saw that it is now 99%. ?

How is that possible?

I am dying of laughing now. ?

That is the whole point, at some point it will eventually drop in battery percentage after regular usage. Its just that the batteries come out of the factory with slightly different battery capacity so every device will drop in battery percentages at different times while also factoring in the usage patterns of the owner.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
My iPhone X is currently at 82% max capacity. I got it in December 2017. That's 2 years and 5 months (891 days). That's an average of about a 0.02% drop per day.

If that drop % starts at day 1, you would currently be around 95.28% max capacity. However, I'd say that the drops don't happen as fast during the first year of life. It's only after the cells have been charged and recharged over and over for a while that things begin to wear.

On top of this, you have an iPhone 11. The battery life of that phone is way better than my iPhone X. I don't know how much the battery itself is improved, but iOS battery management has improved significantly. It makes sense to me that you haven't seen much of a drop in max capacity over the past 7 months.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
It is the same for my “week 1” iPhone 11 Pro.
Btw it is very funny that people can complain about something working too well ?

the battery health indication is just... an indication. And not even a very accurate one.
Your battery surely isn’t as good as it was when brand new, but most probably it is aging well. In a few months the indicator will show something like 95% and you will ask “the battery went from 100% to 95% in a week, is it normal ?”. ?

enjoy your phone and forget about the battery health for a while.
[automerge]1590345707[/automerge]
My iPhone X is currently at 82% max capacity. I got it in December 2017. That's 2 years and 5 months (891 days). That's an average of about a 0.02% drop per day.

If that drop % starts at day 1, you would currently be around 95.28% max capacity. However, I'd say that the drops don't happen as fast during the first year of life. It's only after the cells have been charged and recharged over and over for a while that things begin to wear.

On top of this, you have an iPhone 11. The battery life of that phone is way better than my iPhone X. I don't know how much the battery itself is improved, but iOS battery management has improved significantly. It makes sense to me that you haven't seen much of a drop in max capacity over the past 7 months.
Battery health doesn’t drop in a linear way, so it is pointless to find a percentage per day ratio.
By the way, at 82% your battery is quite ruined, at it could die the next day. I would ask for a replacement.
[automerge]1590345928[/automerge]
[automerge]1590345985[/automerge]
I use coconut battery app (I think you have to buy, not the free one, to get access to devices in addition to the Mac it runs on), and I am pretty sure it fluctuates some. I just checked, and note mine is showing a full charge capacity in excess of the design capacity of the phone.

View attachment 918277
Coconut is a very good app, but it still relays on the phone’s sensor for the battery, so it isn’t very accurate and it can fluctuate a bit.
The only accurate way to test a battery is to remove it and use a bench tester. Not very practical.

Last edited:
Reactions: akash.nu

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
Battery health doesn’t drop in a linear way, so it is pointless to find a percentage per day ratio.
By the way, at 82% your battery is quite ruined, at it could die the next day. I would ask for a replacement.

I explained that it doesn’t drop consistently in my post.

My battery is definitely chugging along but it’s fine right now. I already plan to replace it in the fall after the economy settles down a bit. And if it dies sooner I have a temp phone I can use while Apple does the replacement through delivery.

Last edited:

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Wow so much craziness over this makes me wonder if radiation from phones is harmful :p

If your phone is lasting you throughout the day or if you're on it all the time and it seems to last about the same as it always did then your battery is fine. You will know when the battery is going bad so if it says 80% but still works then it's not bad. It's only bad if it doesn't work. This is part of the reason Apple has been reluctant to put information like this accessible to the user because people obsess about it. I realize it's just human nature but just enjoy using the product.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Yes, it is very normal. As stated by other users in this thread, coconutBattery can help you get a much clearer picture on your battery. Some batteries come >100% design capacity out of factory, I’ve had some at 108%. Battery wear is not like water dripping out of a cup consistently over time... Battery University has a great book on batteries - states that even in the first hundred cycles your battery capacity for Lithium Ion can actually increase.

Most of my phones have been within 5% of design capacity after nearly 2 years of use (~250 cycles). My wife, a much heavier user of her devices than I am, usually has 150-200 more cycles than I do and about 8% capacity loss over the same time, though surprisingly, similar to my own battery that I no longer wear about “wear and tear” and just use my device as I want.

Keep the phone out of high heat situations, try to keep it >20% charge, you should be good.

Russell_314 is right - stressing over these things can really hamper one’s enjoyment of the device. First thing I do on all my iPads and iPhones is get rid of the battery % reader on the top right. It’s done wonders for me. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.