Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk1985

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
My ibook has been de-charging itself lately while the charger is plugged in. At school I'm using my ibook on the go all the time so the battery is constantly used. Lately my ibook has been stationary because I'm at home and I really don't need to take it with me. The only reason I'm kind of worried is from the fact my bro's PB had this problem and he needed a whole new logic board. So is it normal for a laptop to de-charge itself?

FYI I try to run the battery dry at least once a month.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
sk1985 said:
My ibook has been de-charging itself lately while the charger is plugged in. At school I'm using my ibook on the go all the time so the battery is constantly used. Lately my ibook has been stationary because I'm at home and I really don't need to take it with me. The only reason I'm kind of worried is from the fact my bro's PB had this problem and he needed a whole new logic board. So is it normal for a laptop to de-charge itself?

FYI I try to run the battery dry at least once a month.
How do you mean decharge?

I know the system charges the battery up to 100% and then lets it drop back down to 95% before charging again to prevent loss of battery life.

What is your approximate battery life?

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2004
as a past ibook / powerbook used I know the battery does do this to maintain itself. However I'm unsure of the frequincy that this happens. You might wanna call apple care for an answer, or talk to a genius

chris

sk1985

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
iDuck said:
How do you mean decharge?

I know the system charges the battery up to 100% and then lets it drop back down to 95% before charging again to prevent loss of battery life.

What is your approximate battery life?
After a day or two my percentage will drop all of a sudden. It's not little by little each day. Randomly I can watch the battery discharge past 95% and it continues to drop till I unplug the charger and re-plug it in.

Miguey

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2006
So Cal 909
If its sleeping, the little light near the latch button can use some, a little though, battery. It may use a small amount but it can be cumulative. It happens to me, I'll leave my iBook asleep, next day my battery is drained a bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.