Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
Running El Capitan here. I like to turn on Reduce Transparency because I feel that the translucency in various places is distracting. However, in turning on Reduce Transparency, I am left with a dock and menu bar that is entirely too bright. I know I can turn on the "Use dark menubar and dock" setting, but that leaves the dock and menu bar entirely too dark. Is there a happy medium, perhaps a slider to scale back on the brightness of these two items while Reduce Transparency is enabled? Are there any workarounds?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Not willing to disable SIP for even a moment, not willing to install anything outside of the App Store. What are you hiding on your Mac that requires so much security? :eek:

If you want to use only what's built into the OS, you can auto-hide the Dock or menu bar if you find it too distracting.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
Not willing to disable SIP for even a moment, not willing to install anything outside of the App Store. What are you hiding on your Mac that requires so much security? :eek:
I've always been very security conscious. It has served me well on other operating systems, but perhaps it's time I loosened up now that I'm on OS X.

If you want to use only what's built into the OS, you can auto-hide the Dock or menu bar if you find it too distracting.
That's not a bad idea, to be honest, I think I'll do that for a week and see how it works for me. Thank you for the advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.