Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chedglen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2019
Hey all!

I am a web designer, and I am doing everything I can to extend the life of my 2010 Macbook Pro 17" (I love the larger screen). I've updated to a SSD drive and maxed out the RAM (8gb).

I recently bought this ExpressCard 34mm to USB 3.0 adapter, because I need those faster speeds to be able to hook up a docking station with 2 extended monitors. I also did that because I only have a mini displayport, 3 USB 2.0 ports, Firewire 800, and the ExpressCard port.

Right now, everything works (including the monitors) if I plug the docking station into the USB 2.0 port... it's just too laggy. If I plug it into the USB 3.0 adapter, the keyboard and mouse connected to the dock work, but not the two monitors. An external hard drive will also work through the adapter.

Any ideas on how to get the 2 monitors to work?
  • I'm running Mojave and installed the USB 3.0 drivers found here
  • Complete specs on my machine here
  • I installed the Mojave DisplayLink drivers
Thanks for any help in advance!

Note: If I can't get this to work, I'm planning on buying an ultra wide monitor that can connect through the mini DisplayPort; would just prefer to save if possible!

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Having had a 2011 17" I can understand your preference, however I think you're going to battle against the age of the hardware.

Monitors over USB2.0/3.0 are not going to work particularly well. Also, your machine will at most run a single external display at 2560 by 1600 over MiniDisplayPort.

If you really want to keep the larger size (presumably you work away from the desk sometimes?) I'd suggest trying to get a Late 2011 17" (no, you can't have mine :p). The max RAM is doubled (16GB), it has Thunderbolt, the SATA interface is doubled to 6Gbit/sec, the memory is faster, it has a better wifi radio...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.