Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Storrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2006
i just upgraded my macbook memory from 512 to 2 gigs. i have windows installed via bootcamp 1.1. I know the macbook's memory is tied into the graphics card somehow. is there a way i can tell Windows to use more of the ram as video ram to increase video game performance? i know this probably is wishful thinking, and the game im playing, Final Fantasy XI (Windows), works pretty good as it is, but it would be cool if i could devote more ram to video since i upgraded to 2 gigs. The 2 gig upgrade did not make a difference in video performance at all. Thanks for any response!

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Storrow said:
....Final Fantasy XI (Windows), works pretty good as it is

I think you'll probably find that increasing the allocated VRAM isn't going to make much difference. The bottleneck here will be the processing power of the GPU.

Having said that, I know there is a way of allocating shared VRAM in windows, but I can't for the life of me remember how to do it...

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
Storrow said:
i just upgraded my macbook memory from 512 to 2 gigs. i have windows installed via bootcamp 1.1. I know the macbook's memory is tied into the graphics card somehow. is there a way i can tell Windows to use more of the ram as video ram to increase video game performance? i know this probably is wishful thinking, and the game im playing, Final Fantasy XI (Windows), works pretty good as it is, but it would be cool if i could devote more ram to video since i upgraded to 2 gigs. The 2 gig upgrade did not make a difference in video performance at all. Thanks for any response!

I think memory allocation is very likely controlled by the BIOS, so you might be able to get into the BIOS setup and change it from there. Just a guess...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Guys - wndows is quite inteligent in this respect. It will allocate ram when needed. If your only doing bare stuff it will use minimum amount of ram. Start a game and it will allocate upto 224mb of ram. As much as it deems necessery.

You do not have to do anything. period.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.