Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi I just thought I best check with others to see what you think about my cable management system because I don't want something to suddenly blow a fused or set a fire :/

Basically theres 8 power plugs (through 2 extension leads) and 4 usb connections and lots of cable very tightly packed into a shoe box (size 10 UK :p )

The 8 power plugs are all powered from one power socket on the wall and mostly all on at the same time.

The equipment thats being power from this is a 22" Acer monitor, an external HD, a printer, phone charger, camera battery charger, a 25W lamp and then the thing I'm worried will pull too much power is a hi-fi amp (Kenwood A-82, which pulls 150w according to the back of it).

I've attached a photo of the setup and the cable management solution :p

Luke

Attachments

• 10012010104.jpg
    10012010104.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 4,029
  • 10012010105.jpg
    10012010105.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 2,645

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Just try to make sure the mains side isn't kinked or looped tightly and you'll be fine.

cagilber

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2007
I would get rid of the paper labels just incase you get a spark. Maybe replace them w/ some sort of sticky labels you can write on.

Mark72501

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
While the idea is nice, the cardboard shoe box probably isn't the best medium to use. Keeping with the same idea, you could purchase a plastic storage box at your local store, with the lid, and then drill some holes in the lid for heat dissipation and basically end up with the same result. Heck, it could even be better!

Nice idea, though!

Zaap

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I've used a similar system to hide wiring for well over 10 years with no problems. For my home office desk, I purchased a wooden box for monitor power cables, USB hub and external drive power bricks, etc.

wirebox1.jpg

wirebox2.jpg

With a wooden lid on.
attachment.php

As seen next to my desk.

I really doubt there's any more chance of this catching fire as there is if the wiring were on carpet, near drapes, or anything else flammable. I would recommend a wooden or plastic box over cardboard though, and yes, probably get rid of the paper labels.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
What i did was buy one of these @ ikea,leave the back panel out and ran everything into the large bottom drawer. Work really well i have all my external's in there plus a Belkin Powerstrip that i can turn off with a shnazy remote.

AAAAArpzI6kAAAAAARlPhQ.jpg

Mark72501

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
I've used a similar system to hide wiring for well over 10 years with no problems. For my home office desk, I purchased a wooden box for monitor power cables, USB hub and external drive power bricks, etc.

IMAGE SNIP

As seen next to my desk.

I really doubt there's any more chance of this catching fire as there is if the wiring were on carpet, near drapes, or anything else flammable. I would recommend a wooden or plastic box over cardboard though, and yes, probably get rid of the paper labels.

This is really nice looking! And, yes, much safer than cardboard.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
I think a cardboard box is fine for a UK plug. Any other plug is probably dangerous, but UK plugs are the sturdiest and the safest and certainly the least likely to cause a fire. :)

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
I think a cardboard box is fine for a UK plug. Any other plug is probably dangerous, but UK plugs are the sturdiest and the safest and certainly the least likely to cause a fire. :)

I don't care how safe it my *seem*... All that electricity running through that box-- I would be afraid of the potential heat build up...

I would invest in a small storage bin or something of the like that would be a little less flammable that a cardboard box + paper tags. haha. Geez! :eek:

Hilmi Hamidi

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2009
Why do you have to hide the cables?
Just buy some cable ties and cover the wires nest with some clothes.

jord1985

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2009
SF
You should look into a Furman power conditioner, and like everyone said the cardboard box isn't a safe idea.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
Even when I was building computers I would have terrible cable management. I rather have a bunch of wires going all over the place than jammed inside a box. With that said, I have seen people do some great cable management without even to having to hide the cables/ wires. The one common theme I notice who made their wires look neat and uncluttered was they used zip ties.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.