Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
A lot of threads about why people are updating or not and why theyā€™re excited or not, and Iā€™m joining in and enjoying them. However, I keep feeling a little bit outside of the group and am wondering if anybody else is, too?

Iā€™m one of those who has had physical/health problems with OLED screens. Each year I try them, they eventually bother/hurt me enough that I sell them. Repeat ad nauseam.

Before the X, I used to get excited every year about the new phonesā€”Should I or should I not? Are the upgrades significant or not? And mostly just YAY! All the stuff on this forum right now. But now the bigger question for me: Is this year that Iā€™ll finally be able to actually use the phone?!?!?

Do I want to try?

Do I want to look the other way?

Do I want to get excited and possibly frustrated once again?

Has Apple become Lucy to my Charlie Brown? (These phones are getting as big as footballs.)

So Iā€™m debating: Hate to not try. That seems like giving up on dreams because some didnā€™t come true. And what about all those tired success stories that follow a bunch of failures. So try it, right? Or is it that cliched definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? Should I just enjoy my 11 and leave well enough alone until my 11 dies? Should I give up the joy I found in this time of year I call Applemas?

I go back and forth. At this moment, Iā€™m thinking try.

What about you? Do you have this debate? How does it play out for you?

(Please no comments about get a life, get over it, get your eyes checked. Iā€™m not looking for advice or disparagement. Iā€™m just wondering if thereā€™s anybody else out there having a similar experience.)

Proteinaceous

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
Iā€™m in the same boat so I understand your dilemma. I have stopped getting excited for iPhone launches because it will likely just set me up for disappointment. For now, I am resigned to using my 11 unless I hear reports that Apple has solved the issue for folks like us.

Having said that, it is folks like you that I am relying on to give it a shotā€¦so I will salute your efforts to take one for the OLED-sensitive team, try it out, and report back.

Thank you.

My bigger fear is Apple moving iPads to OLED. When that happens, I may have to consider leaving the Apple ecosystem altogether. :(

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Knowing apple, they will more likely never solve the pwm issue for folks sensitive to it at all because of how ā€œsmallā€ this group of people is. I have yet to see major media coverage or high profile complaints about it, which is usually the best way to alert apple they are doing something wrong.

With that in mind, what I can see is similar folks would eventually get disappointed and move on to another device or another ecosystem. Unfortunately, more and more high end devices are OLED only, meaning they are not going to be eye friendly at all. Itā€™s just sad.

Reactions: 5105973

Proteinaceous

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
Knowing apple, they will more likely never solve the pwm issue for folks sensitive to it at all because of how ā€œsmallā€ this group of people is. I have yet to see major media coverage or high profile complaints about it, which is usually the best way to alert apple they are doing something wrong.

With that in mind, what I can see is similar folks would eventually get disappointed and move on to another device or another ecosystem. Unfortunately, more and more high end devices are OLED only, meaning they are not going to be eye friendly at all. Itā€™s just sad.
Iā€˜m not sure Apple will necessarily be proactive in trying to solve this issue either. But, I do hope that screen technology in general evolves such that the issue goes away. This could be OLED, micro/mini LED, or some other ā€latest-and-greatestā€ screen technology with a significantly higher PWM frequency, or no PWM at all.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Ugh I feel everything youā€™ve said, @happy orchard Iā€™ve gone through this since the introduction of the first OLED iPhone.

A year or so ago I decided no, Iā€™m not putting myself through this anymore. Sit down with my LCD phones and shut up.

But since then, Iā€™ve had a LOT of death around me: Aunts, uncles, friends, in-laws, parents. Some of these losses were directly from the pandemic, but some were due to lack of healthcare access from the pandemic and others were just inevitable.

That sounds dark exceptā€¦all of these people lived and laughed big to the very last moment. Their lives taught me to find and embrace joy every day. Overcome the challenges, learn from the disappointments, but donā€™t let that stuff take you down.

So, I live with whatā€™s in front of me at the moment. Right now itā€™s wide open. Maybe this will be like the 12 Pro Max and I can use it. If so, wow, awesome! That possibility is worth getting excited over. Itā€™s worth haunting the forums for rumors and watching the videos and reading the articles and tweets. Itā€™s fun.

Especially since Iā€™ve learned I donā€™t have to be the direct recipient of a benefit to take joy from it. There are so many people here excited to upgrade. Iā€™m soaking in their excitement and happiness. Itā€™s great to see. I love the energy. I love it when they get their new gadgets and post what they like and how much fun theyā€™re having.

For myself, if the 14 Pro doesnā€™t work out, itā€™s wonderful Iā€™ve still got my gorgeous green 11. I also got the little adorable SE 2022. There are rumors that there might be a new SE based on the iPhone XR. That phone was such a huge hit with the kids and their friends. I thought it was cute and fun too. If it comes to fruition I know Iā€™ll be looking at it. No itā€™s not cutting edge tech. But Iā€™m grateful I can use it.

Thatā€™s the key, gratitude. Everything I can have or do, Iā€™m grateful for. Everything I canā€™t have or no longer do, I appreciate someone out there can. The more happy people out there, the better the overall environment is for the rest of us.

Lol of course it doesnā€™t all have to be about conspicuous consumption making people happy. But this is a forum about a consumer product so thatā€™s how Iā€™m framing my points. (However I want to clarify that I do have more depth to my existence than drooling over iPhones šŸ¤£).

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
A lot of threads about why people are updating or not and why theyā€™re excited or not, and Iā€™m joining in and enjoying them. However, I keep feeling a little bit outside of the group and am wondering if anybody else is, too?

Iā€™m one of those who has had physical/health problems with OLED screens. Each year I try them, they eventually bother/hurt me enough that I sell them. Repeat ad nauseam.

Before the X, I used to get excited every year about the new phonesā€”Should I or should I not? Are the upgrades significant or not? And mostly just YAY! All the stuff on this forum right now. But now the bigger question for me: Is this year that Iā€™ll finally be able to actually use the phone?!?!?

Do I want to try?

Do I want to look the other way?

Do I want to get excited and possibly frustrated once again?

Has Apple become Lucy to my Charlie Brown? (These phones are getting as big as footballs.)

So Iā€™m debating: Hate to not try. That seems like giving up on dreams because some didnā€™t come true. And what about all those tired success stories that follow a bunch of failures. So try it, right? Or is it that cliched definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? Should I just enjoy my 11 and leave well enough alone until my 11 dies? Should I give up the joy I found in this time of year I call Applemas?

I go back and forth. At this moment, Iā€™m thinking try.

What about you? Do you have this debate? How does it play out for you?

(Please no comments about get a life, get over it, get your eyes checked. Iā€™m not looking for advice or disparagement. Iā€™m just wondering if thereā€™s anybody else out there having a similar experience.)
Iā€™m surprised Apple have not put measures in for those who struggle with OLED, I know on my Androids since a few years ago some manufacturers put a feature where it reduces flicker etcā€¦for those who suffer from the PWM. Sounds like Apple need to add something in Accessibility that allows lowering the flicker.

As for the size of the phones they donā€™t seem to be getting any smaller, I am shocked at how big the 13 Pro Max is, yes I am loving it but wow itā€™s really hitting the ceiling of whatā€™s tolerable now. The 11 Pro Max and Xs Max seemed to be the sweet spot with their 6.5inch screens.

Since you already have an 11 I guess the SE is a no go for you as itā€™s a step back in Camera, Battery Life and some of the other stuff. Even next to a 2022 SE the 11 is better, IMO outside of the chip of course, then again the A13 Bionic is still a monster of a chip.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Iā€™m in the same boat so I understand your dilemma. I have stopped getting excited for iPhone launches because it will likely just set me up for disappointment. For now, I am resigned to using my 11 unless I hear reports that Apple has solved the issue for folks like us.

Having said that, it is folks like you that I am relying on to give it a shotā€¦so I will salute your efforts to take one for the OLED-sensitive team, try it out, and report back.

Thank you.

My bigger fear is Apple moving iPads to OLED. When that happens, I may have to consider leaving the Apple ecosystem altogether. :(
Yes I have that concern about i

Thank you.

Thanks for sharing and the support. :)

I have the concern about iPads going to OLED as well. All of my techie stuff is integrated so leaving the ecosystem kinda feels like leaving the planet, but we'll see. Wish us luck.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Ugh I feel everything youā€™ve said, @happy orchard Iā€™ve gone through this since the introduction of the first OLED iPhone.

A year or so ago I decided no, Iā€™m not putting myself through this anymore. Sit down with my LCD phones and shut up.

But since then, Iā€™ve had a LOT of death around me: Aunts, uncles, friends, in-laws, parents. Some of these losses were directly from the pandemic, but some were due to lack of healthcare access from the pandemic and others were just inevitable.

That sounds dark exceptā€¦all of these people lived and laughed big to the very last moment. Their lives taught me to find and embrace joy every day. Overcome the challenges, learn from the disappointments, but donā€™t let that stuff take you down.

So, I live with whatā€™s in front of me at the moment. Right now itā€™s wide open. Maybe this will be like the 12 Pro Max and I can use it. If so, wow, awesome! That possibility is worth getting excited over. Itā€™s worth haunting the forums for rumors and watching the videos and reading the articles and tweets. Itā€™s fun.

Especially since Iā€™ve learned I donā€™t have to be the direct recipient of a benefit to take joy from it. There are so many people here excited to upgrade. Iā€™m soaking in their excitement and happiness. Itā€™s great to see. I love the energy. I love it when they get their new gadgets and post what they like and how much fun theyā€™re having.

For myself, if the 14 Pro doesnā€™t work out, itā€™s wonderful Iā€™ve still got my gorgeous green 11. I also got the little adorable SE 2022. There are rumors that there might be a new SE based on the iPhone XR. That phone was such a huge hit with the kids and their friends. I thought it was cute and fun too. If it comes to fruition I know Iā€™ll be looking at it. No itā€™s not cutting edge tech. But Iā€™m grateful I can use it.

Thatā€™s the key, gratitude. Everything I can have or do, Iā€™m grateful for. Everything I canā€™t have or no longer do, I appreciate someone out there can. The more happy people out there, the better the overall environment is for the rest of us.

Lol of course it doesnā€™t all have to be about conspicuous consumption making people happy. But this is a forum about a consumer product so thatā€™s how Iā€™m framing my points. (However I want to clarify that I do have more depth to my existence than drooling over iPhones šŸ¤£).
Can I say 'ditto' without sounding glib?

I, too, have faced some intense bad in life and now live thinking (so many things really, but relevantly here) I'd rather try for good.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Iā€™m surprised Apple have not put measures in for those who struggle with OLED, I know on my Androids since a few years ago some manufacturers put a feature where it reduces flicker etcā€¦for those who suffer from the PWM. Sounds like Apple need to add something in Accessibility that allows lowering the flicker.

As for the size of the phones they donā€™t seem to be getting any smaller, I am shocked at how big the 13 Pro Max is, yes I am loving it but wow itā€™s really hitting the ceiling of whatā€™s tolerable now. The 11 Pro Max and Xs Max seemed to be the sweet spot with their 6.5inch screens.

Since you already have an 11 I guess the SE is a no go for you as itā€™s a step back in Camera, Battery Life and some of the other stuff. Even next to a 2022 SE the 11 is better, IMO outside of the chip of course, then again the A13 Bionic is still a monster of a chip.
Yes, I've been surprised, too. The flicker was actually somewhat better in the 13 ProMax, so I appreciate that some effort seems to be being made. Hoping that eventually the efforts help enough.

As for the size, I joke about the football, but I actually like the bigger screen, which is one reason why I'd like to go from the 11 to the 14PM, but yeah maybe the football joke isn't that far off.

In the other direction of size, I do have an 8 for work, and I love the little all-white darling, but I don't feel like it's the best size for me to use all the time, so yeah, I'm less keen on the current SE. If they do make a new SE that's similar to the XR/11, I'll definitely be excited about a new chip.

...For now, the 11 is delightful. I guess I just miss what it was like to celebrate Christmas when I never questioned if Santa were real, just like I miss celebrating Applemas when I never wondered if a phone would hurt me.

Reactions: Tsepz

john g.

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Yep, in the same boat. Likely sticking with my 11 for a while longer.

Though I would prefer an LCD version of the iPhone mini or the iPhone X size;
even if they took an 11 and put a new chip in it and added 5G and called it whatever, I'd be happy then as well.

Reactions: happy orchard

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada

even if they took an 11 and put a new chip in it and added 5G and called it whatever, I'd be happy then as well.
Rumour is the next se will adopt the iPhone XR body, so pretty close to the 11

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
Right there with you. There was one comment on some Macrumors thread that suggested there may be an increase in the frequency or somethingā€¦ it didnā€™t make a lot of sense to me but thereā€™s a slim glimmer of hope for us. Iā€™ll still be watching the presentation but unless they announce theyā€™ve addressed the issue I probably wonā€™t pre-order. It took me over a year of doctors visits before I realized the iPhone X was causing my migraines and I had to buy an 11. Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ll make excuses with the 14Pro and lie to myself just so Iā€™ll keep it but then be stuck suffering with migraines after the return window closesā€¦

I just really hope theyā€™ve done something to address the issue.

Reactions: happy orchard

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020

I have so often thought that!

ā€¦though to be honest, Iā€™ve thought that for the big Max size, too.

Essentially, Iā€™ve thought I would love to have used all the recently released phone sizes if theyā€™d just had any of them in LCD. Still havenā€™t figured out why they donā€™t offer it: it would be cheaper to make, right?

Proteinaceous

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004

An 11 with a new chip and 5g. That would work for me too. My current 11 is doing fine so I donā€™t need it at the moment. Maybe next year. Current SE is ok, but I am a big fan of FaceID so it would be difficult for me to go ā€œbackwardsā€ on that. Iā€™ve seen the rumors of Apple using the XR as a base for the next SE which would be unfortunate in the camera department. 11 camera(s) is much better.

Proteinaceous

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
Right there with you. There was one comment on some Macrumors thread that suggested there may be an increase in the frequency or somethingā€¦ it didnā€™t make a lot of sense to me but thereā€™s a slim glimmer of hope for us. Iā€™ll still be watching the presentation but unless they announce theyā€™ve addressed the issue I probably wonā€™t pre-order. It took me over a year of doctors visits before I realized the iPhone X was causing my migraines and I had to buy an 11. Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ll make excuses with the 14Pro and lie to myself just so Iā€™ll keep it but then be stuck suffering with migraines after the return window closesā€¦

I just really hope theyā€™ve done something to address the issue.
Iā€™m so sorry to hear it took a year to figure that out. How miserable. :(

I think I saw the same comment you are referring to. Iā€™ll believe it when I see it. ;)

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Iā€™ll still be watching the presentation but unless they announce theyā€™ve addressed the issue I probably wonā€™t pre-order.
I doubt Apple will ever publicly comment on the issue as that will mean there is an issue with previous phones. If they do something about it, it'll be silently done or just noted in the tech press or forums after the phone is released. That's just my opinion though. I could be wrong.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
An 11 with a new chip and 5g. That would work for me too. My current 11 is doing fine so I donā€™t need it at the moment. Maybe next year. Current SE is ok, but I am a big fan of FaceID so it would be difficult for me to go ā€œbackwardsā€ on that. Iā€™ve seen the rumors of Apple using the XR as a base for the next SE which would be unfortunate in the camera department. 11 camera(s) is much better.
Theyā€™ve worked wonders with the camera on the current SE. I have both the SE 2022 and the iPhone 11.

My worry is that Apple might again deny the next SE the necessary NFC hardware to work with AirDrop and AirTags. Iā€™m hoping if they use the larger XR chassis for the new SE, that they will this time include that hardware as itā€™s kind of necessary to feel ā€œcurrentā€. At least for me. I use AirDrop a lot with friends and family. Itā€™s such a fast way to share a batch of photos without setting up a shared photo album. And I do like my AirTags but itā€™s frustrating I canā€™t use them with my newer iPhone.

Before I got my iPhone 11 for Christmas, I briefly had a 64 gb iPhone XR. It was sent to us free by AT&T to replace my late mother-in-lawā€™s iPhone, which was no longer going to work with existing networks. She passed away before the pandemic and I guess my husband never got around to canceling her line. So I took it and fell back in love with the Xr.

Originally Iā€™d had a yellow one with a very bright glaring display. This one had a more soothing display. I really wanted to keep it but 64 gb is really constraining for me. I traded it in for the SE 2022 while it still had really good trade in value.

My husband got me the iPhone 11. The camera was a significant improvement. But Iā€™m not against going back to the Xr form factor and single lens if they can make it as good as what Iā€™ve had with my SE 2022. It rarely takes a bad photo.

I just canā€™t freeze a cicada flying at me in mid air like I could on my 12 mini. Those kinds of shots just arenā€™t in reach on these cameras based on older tech. I made my peace with that.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Theyā€™ve worked wonders with the camera on the current SE. I have both the SE 2022 and the iPhone 11.

My worry is that Apple might again deny the next SE the necessary NFC hardware to work with AirDrop and AirTags. Iā€™m hoping if they use the larger XR chassis for the new SE, that they will this time include that hardware as itā€™s kind of necessary to feel ā€œcurrentā€. At least for me. I use AirDrop a lot with friends and family. Itā€™s such a fast way to share a batch of photos without setting up a shared photo album. And I do like my AirTags but itā€™s frustrating I canā€™t use them with my newer iPhone.

Before I got my iPhone 11 for Christmas, I briefly had a 64 gb iPhone XR. It was sent to us free by AT&T to replace my late mother-in-lawā€™s iPhone, which was no longer going to work with existing networks. She passed away before the pandemic and I guess my husband never got around to canceling her line. So I took it and fell back in love with the Xr.

Originally Iā€™d had a yellow one with a very bright glaring display. This one had a more soothing display. I really wanted to keep it but 64 gb is really constraining for me. I traded it in for the SE 2022 while it still had really good trade in value.

My husband got me the iPhone 11. The camera was a significant improvement. But Iā€™m not against going back to the Xr form factor and single lens if they can make it as good as what Iā€™ve had with my SE 2022. It rarely takes a bad photo.

I just canā€™t freeze a cicada flying at me in mid air like I could on my 12 mini. Those kinds of shots just arenā€™t in reach on these cameras based on older tech. I made my peace with that.
Love it! Thatā€™s how we need to describe it: I want a camera good enough that I can freeze a flying cicada with it!

• Haha

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Never come across anyone with this issue outside of this forum, no friends or family, not saying itā€™s not real, but gotta be a eye issue, otherwise everyone would suffer from it.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
Never come across anyone with this issue outside of this forum, no friends or family, not saying itā€™s not real, but gotta be an eye issue, otherwise everyone would suffer from it.
I donā€™t know anyone else IRL who suffers from it besides me.

To be fair, I do have horrible eyes - itchy, dry, red, ā€œmeatyā€, and my pupils are crazy large that I take a prescription eye drops just so I can keep my eyes open enough to see. I had a dilation procedure done a few years ago and ever since then my pupils have been stupid big. I read another guy who said he had an eye issue but once it was diagnosed and treated he didnā€™t get migraines from OLED anymore.

I suspect there are several reasons that can make people more susceptible to migraines from OLED displays.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Never come across anyone with this issue outside of this forum, no friends or family, not saying itā€™s not real, but gotta be a eye issue, otherwise everyone would suffer from it.
It may be an eye issue for some of us. But Iā€™ve had my eyes thoroughly checked out multiple times and doc has ruled out an eye problem.

For me itā€™s a neurological thing. I was diagnosed with atypical migraines years before OLED displays came out. Besides pwm, Iā€™ve identified plenty of other triggers over the years that fortunately are easily avoided.

For example, I used to have a problem with soy of any kind, but that seems to no longer be a problem anymore. Soy contains plant estrogens and hormonal triggers are known to be an issue for some women at some stages of life. Iā€™m now a few years past menopause (which is when my migraines were most easily triggered) so I guess thatā€™s why I can now eat soy based foods again.

So itā€™s really not that mysterious. For many people, pulse width modulation is simply a migraine trigger. Most people think of migraines as a really bad headache but in reality the manifestations are much more broad than that and can include seizure type events, dizziness, digestive problems and a whole host of other problems that you wouldnā€™t normally associate with the word ā€œmigraine.ā€

I think a lot of people actually ARE suffering adverse effects from some of their OLED devices. But because the symptoms are not directly related to visual discomfort, they may not know theyā€™re suffering from pwm sensitivity.

And some people may be fine with one OLED display but not another. If theyā€™ve been using an iPhone X for several years with no problem and then upgrade to an iPhone 12 and start having problems, theyā€™re not automatically going to blame the phone. They may start with other factors in their life.

Of the multitudes of people who own iPhones, how many of them regularly read tech forums? I donā€™t know ANYONE who reads this forum at all, let alone regularly.

From being here for several years I see many people come in around new product releases, but they donā€™t stay past the time it takes to complain they got a cat pee yellow display or whatever the complaint of the year is.

My husband works in the tech industry and only barely skims the articles here, on occasion, when he has the time. He certainly doesnā€™t do deep dive into forum topics as obscure as this subject.

So we may know many people who are having some form of pwm sensitivity but who would never identify it as such. Theyā€™re going to just think theyā€™re tired or stressed or sick or something else. Theyā€™re not going to connect it to their smartphone use.

And even if they suspect, some people are so addicted to their smartphone theyā€™re going to go into hard denial or just push on. My husband and I have a friend who finally admitted a couple of years ago he was suffering pwm sensitivity, but he said he didnā€™t care and nothing was keeping him from the Pro Max phones.

Proteinaceous

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
I havenā€™t come across anyone with this either outside of this forum. If by ā€œissueā€ you mean pathology, I have no idea. I have some astigmatism and wear glasses, but I get my eyes examined regularly and donā€™t have any other known eye issues. Iā€™ve never experienced any other photosensitivities; I donā€™t have an issue with LED bulbs (which flicker) or even low-refresh-rate CRT computer displays from back in the 80ā€™s (yes, Iā€™m dating myself ;)).

I suspect this is just natural human variationā€¦we are all wired a little differently and some peopleā€˜s senses are more more/less sensitive than others. Some people can hear very high frequencies; others canā€™t. Some people have a high pain tolerance; otherā€™s donā€™t. Some people are ā€œsuper tastersā€; otherā€™s arenā€™t. Some people are sensitive to this flickering/PWM at the wavelength range used in Appleā€™s OLED displays; otherā€™s arenā€™t.

Iā€™ve wondered if many other people are actually sensitive to this, but at different frequency ranges. Maybe Apple will one day change the frequency range such that those of us currently having issues no longer have issuesā€¦but a whole new group of folks start complaining. I also wonder how many folks are sensitive to this and just donā€™t realize it. Case in point, it took Howyalikdemapls a year before they were able to figure it out.

john g.

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Imagine if you could select screen details the way you chose storage and other options?

For example:

Choose screen size:

* 5.4 inch display [iPhone mini]

* 5.7 inch display [iPhone X]

* 6.1 inch display [iPhone 14]

* 6.7 inch display [max models]

Choose screen technology:

* Liquid Retina LCD display

* Super Retina OLED display

I know it will never happen, but it's a nice thought.

Reactions: 5105973 and Brad7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.